Sandy wipes out biggest beekeeping operation in New York City

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by hlhart2001, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

It seem to me there are a lot of stupid people around, they had time to go and move the bees to higher ground, were they to lazy or was it because someone gave them the hives, this sounds a lot like the lost of the ship Boundy, nobody though ahead when they had plenty of time.

kebee

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Like they couldn't have moved 25 hives a day or two before, knowing what was coming...???
    Saying they couldn't move the bees without "Herculean effort"...??? Seriously?
    If they were so terribly concerned about losing the (donated) special genetics, why didn't they at least pull the queens and cage them for a few days?

Lame! Just totally lame.
    After receiving $$thousands in donations from generous folks to establish the apiary in the first place, who'd want to 'throw good money after bad' to fund these fools to rebuild again? They couldn't even take care of what they were given by a very generous retired beekeeper.
    Some "bee keepers".

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ya it would not have taken much effort at all to move 25 hives with a weeks notice, lazy New York people and you can bet they are already asking for more donations:beg: I would not give them a thing

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I agree with you all BUT it was a combination of the storm passing at a time of high tides close to the full moon so the tides were even higher than normal. sandy game ashore sooner than originally predicted at first it was predicted to wait till Perry s house before coming ashore. this created a storm searg larger than predicted and by the time any one realized the hives were in trouble it was to late to get in to rescue them.
    L was not there so this is all speculation but some times you get cot of guard. It happens, hind sight is 20/20. there are lots of times after the fact that I think only if...!

6. Omie

Omie New Member

They had enough notice to go out and rescue most of the queens. I would have.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Apisbee, The article even says the manager knew the hives where at risk but that they couldn't do anything about it. A "herculean effort" is how they put it. I honestly doubt in the scramble that beehives where high on the list.
    Regardless, I can't imagine anyone leaving beehives on a pier thinking that they would survive.

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Terrible waste. Caring for those who can't care for themselves should be a first priority in all of our lives.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Very sad, indeed. I would have tried to load the hives on to a flat bed and drove them inland. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like to me the tendency to call things after the fact and define priorities for other folks way after it is too late is a DISEASE that has now spread to the Canadian side of the border. I have warned you folks up their about taking in any of my fellow citizens due to likely hood that this PLAGUE would overcome you just as it has run rampant here (please notice NO smiley face HERE).

and a snip...
    Up until now, beekeepers in the NYC area have had to purchase their bees from the southeastern United States. Disease, winter survivability, and poor temperament are all issues that plague this system and result in beekeepers losing hives each year. BGBees is selectively breeding queens to create a genetic strain of bees that thrive in the unique NYC environment. These bees are proven to be disease resistant, are hardy enough to survive cold winters, and are mild in temperament.

tecumseh....
    dang us evil southern beekeepers. the genetics evidently didn't insure the bees would not drown. since most southern beekeepers are pretty adapt at keeping bees alive perhaps them yankee beekeeper :wink: :wink: should POLITELY ask a southern beekeeper how we manage to do that

11. Omie

Omie New Member

Them damn Yankeeez !!!