Sarah's trap out 3-18-12

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Mar 19, 2012.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Trap out done for a very nice lady who even made us cookies!!

jmblakeney (one of our newest members) wanted to tag along and look over my shoulder, I was not going to have any of that nonsense at all..............put him up front so he could learn something. He had lost both of his hives over the winter and was bee-less, told him to bring some boxes and his drawn frames and I would kick in a frame of brood and eggs to start him off again for the spring.

This one had us scratchin our heads since the entrance for the hive was behind the rocks and they were in the cinder blocks. Good ol' red neck in-j-nu-ity came into play after awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwqYyy2tjUQ

We had a great time and hope I made a new friend. Thanks for playing in the bees James it was fun!! Next time don't eat all of the cookies :lol::lol:

Check back for an update in about a week, we will go into them again to make sure a queen cell is being made.

2. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Great video, thanks for sharing it!!!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Real nice set up. It should make him a nice hive.Check for queen cells after 7 days, then don't disturb the box for 10 more days. The new queen should be settled after 17 days so you can look inside again after that.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

I agree, great video and thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

5. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Absolutely. I feel the same way. It was a very exciting day. I learned a ton and gained a friendship. I appreciate the opportunity you gave me and the bees. I can't thank you enough. I was wondering when you were gonna post this. I started to get a lil anxious waiting for it.

As for the cookies, I can't promise you anything. If you can't tell by my figure, I just love me some fat boy cakes. :rotfl:

Can't wait to go back and check there progress.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I was having a terrible time with youtube, started on it last night and after several hours and it getting rejected four or five times I just gave up. Started again this morning and the same thing, edited it down in time and still same thing. Finally saved it to the desk top and tried from there took well over 1 1/2 hours to publish then it had to process it, I got excited and hit the back button and POOF it was gone! Started all over again only to find out it actually made it the first time!! oh well

7. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Great video , G ! Thanks for posting. Well done and informative.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

G3, that was GREAT. Very calmly, you put the excitement and challenge into the process of trapping. Nothing like good old common sense joined with spontaneity to meet aand overcome a real challenge.

9. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Hey G3, the beginner and his wife here have a couple of questions. You mention in the video on the trap out that you will go back later and check for queen cells...That made my wife and wonder about a couple of things...Hmmmm :dontknow:

1. What happens to the queen still in the wall? Does she just stay and die or might she eventually come out?
    2. Also what kind of interaction do the bees that you installed into the box with the brood, and the bees that are coming from the wall have? Do they have any issues between themselves? Maybe not, because there is no queen?

Just curious...Thanks

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good questions...........

#1 When there is nothing coming into the wall hive (groceries), the queen and what few bees are left will eventually abscond (leave). They will not enter into the bait hive since there is a new laying queen in it, hopefully.

#2 The bees that are with the brood are nurse bees, not really up to the task of guard bees yet, their main focus is on the brood to get them fed and kept at the right temp. The wall hive bees are foragers and are coming back from the field loaded with groceries (nectar, pollen, water, propolis) and are looking to dump their load and get back to work, they are on a mission. There might be a few bees that fight but not very many.

After the wall hive bees abscond the trap cone will be removed and the bait hive bees will enter the wall and rob out any honey/nectar that is left. After a couple of days the wall hive entrance can be sealed up to prevent another swarm from moving in. All that will remain is wax combs and maybe very little hatching brood, but nothing that will cause a major melt down mess.

11. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Wow that's awesome how all that works. So how long do you wait or how do you know when the queen has left the wall? I would assume it depends on how much honey and pollen they have stored? Thanks again

12. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

You have to wait too long, believe me.:grin:

That was only a joke because I always get too anxious around bees.
    From what I have read and been told trapouts "usually" take between 6-8 wks.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The day you put the trap cone on the queen is still laying eggs that will need 21 days before they emerge. So a minimum of somewhere of 30 to 45 days. A careful watch of the cone would be needed to know when they leave but most times you can not do this, the home owners could be of a great value for this. Several visits to the trap site will need to be made, I like a weekly or more visit if they are very close. If not, at least with in the week to see that they have pulled out a queen cell, then in a couple of weeks to make sure there is a queen, then a couple of times to see if the queen is laying and all is going well. Every time you go visit watch the cone for about an hour to see how many if any bees are exiting the cone. I like to listen to the hive and take temp readings also if possible. After removing the cone watch the entrance for any bees that might return and take pollen back in, if they do put the trap cone back on and wait longer. If bees from the bait hive start going in and coming back out and returning to the bait hive things will be over shortly.

14. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the time to explain the details. :thumbsup: I think that wraps up the loose ends for me. I will be looking forward to your follow up reports.

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You are very welcome and glad to help out.

Now go set up a trap out and report back :lol:

I might add into the equation that SHB might just cut your trap out short in your location.

16. Marbees

Marbees Member

Thanks for sharing G3, great video:thumbsup:

17. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

I went and checked on Sarah's trapout today. Outside the hive only. Everything still looked great. No other entrances to the old hive seem to be found. Bees still exiting the cone, about 2-4 at any given time. I will post a real short video of it in a lil while. :smile:

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Great stuff you guys are posting! Nice looking rock wall but must have given ya fits trying to trap it out. Well done! :thumbsup:

20. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Why is that?