Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :) my husband and I are beginner beekeepers...we lost our first two hives last year :( and are in the process of ordering new bees. We had the Italian bees and LOVED their temperament....We are looking to order two packages of Saskatraz bees this time around (as they are known to have higher tolerance to mites and disease - i know this doesn't mean don't treat haha).

Anyone have experience with this breed? Temperament? things to know? Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello :) my husband and I are beginner beekeepers...we lost our first two hives last year :( and are in the process of ordering new bees. We had the Italian bees and LOVED their temperament....We are looking to order two packages of Saskatraz bees this time around (as they are known to have higher tolerance to mites and disease - i know this doesn't mean don't treat haha).

Anyone have experience with this breed? Temperament? things to know? Thanks so much!!
I noticed you posted this question a few years ago and you had no replies. How did those Saskatraz bees work out for you? I will be getting a Nuc of them myself in the Spring of 2022. Just grabbing at straws here because I don't know if you are still around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might do better with local survivor stock.
Good because I only need to drive for 45 minutes to pick the Saskatraz bees up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm looking forward to trying the Saskatraz bees out. I heard good things about them. Here is where I am picking them up. In fact,they don't even do any shipping. A beekeeper down the road from me is going to be picking up 5 more Nucs of the Saskatraz in the Spring so I guess he likes them. To bad bzmom isn't still on the forum. I'd like to know how her and her husband made out with the bees.
Hartville Honeybee Farm has a pretty good description of their bees.
Ohio Overwintered Honey Bee Nucs - Raw Local Honey - Hartville Honey Bee Farm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts