scented sugar water for moving mixing bees?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by powwowman, Jun 30, 2014.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

(using top bar hives so can't really do the newspaper method)

I'm wondering if

(1)Is it reasonable to consider using scented sugar water sprayed on bees from a weak, queen less hive and shake them into another stronger hive? Would the new hive bees accept them then, as the scent would cover their natural scent?

OR

(2) Maybe ( in hopes of raising a queen) move a couple frames of eggs/larva and nurse bees from a stronger hive, spray them with this scented sugar water or would the new hive accept them in this small number of bees without the scented sugar water?

OR

Is this crazy thinking?

2. camero7

camero7 Member

#2 should work fine. Bees will accept new brood bees without fighting almost all the time.

If I was going to do #1 I'd shake them out in front of the hive and let them beg at the door.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

What camero said
    If you wanted to do the #1 combine you could cut a follower board to fit in the hive and then cut a 3" hole thru it with screen covering the hole. Place it in the hive and place the combine on the other side for a day or two before removing it from the hive.

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Lot of to-do for nothing, spray them with sugar water if you wish, or feed them generously a couple days before combining, bees not starved for resources readily adapt, Karl kehrle of Buckfast Abby says exposing bees to the sun for a few minutes increases acceptance. i am sure it volatilizes pheromones just like disrupting the colony every few days.

5. bee stung

bee stung New Member

to join 2 hives ,, do the paper join take off the cover ,inner cover off lay a sheet of news paper on the box ,, put the other box on the news paper put the cover on ,, the one ting you have to remember is the field bees my go back to the old spot ,, so plug the entrance with grass so they have to wok to get out they may re orientate to the new spot