Scientific Beekeeper

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Anyone ever checked out Randy Oliver's website: scientificbeekeeper.com? Our club president was talking about the site the other night, said there was some pretty good information on disease/treatments.

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

On regular basis, like his style. Very informative/educational for all beekeepers.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Been on my favourites for quite a while! :mrgreen:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would say a highly recommended site. Some of his 'articles' are a bit exhaustive... there is almost always a pearl buried in all. on a couple I would say represented 'voila' moments for me... always in regards to the current health issues of honeybees.

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Checked out the website in more detail last night, pretty interesting fella.

6. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

I was just looking at his site, didn't know if it was ok to bring the link over. When I asked at my first meeting what magnification was needed for Nosema, I didn't get an answer. This is part of the koi hobby that fascinates me so I was thrilled to find a scoping guide. Don't want the parasites but do want to be able to find them.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-13-simple-microscopy-of-nosema/

7. Minz

Minz Member

I was trying to use my microscope to determine nosema and found his site and recommendations. I went there a couple of times afterwards but it does not look like it is changing. Is my bookmark maybe to a specific section (in other words are you guys finding it changes monthly)

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

A while back, Randy lectured at a beekeeper's conference in Israel. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend, but I heard some very good reports. He's top notch and thinks "out of the box". His site is a a gold mine.

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

10. Minz

Minz Member

Thanks, been reading it in my free time. Made the entire experience here worth it, really have been visiting here more often.

11. Ray

Ray Member

tecumseh
    Re: Scientific Beekeeper
    I would say a highly recommended site. Some of his 'articles' are a bit exhaustive... there is almost always a pearl buried in all. on a couple I would say represented 'voila' moments for me... always in regards to the current health issues of honeybees.

Voila? ain't that a big fiddle? Or is it one of them ferin languages like Horse du vers?:lol:​

12. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm going to see him this weekend at the Dadant 150th Anniversary Celebration in Hamilton, IL. Should be good stuff, looking forward to it.

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Great link! Thanks, will get right to reading. The yellow background on his site does some crazy things to your eyes when you return to a white page.

14. Lburou

Lburou Member

That site is where I go to get clarity on mite and nutrition issues. I drank the kool aid. ;)

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well Lee there is all kinds of kool aid flavors and some of these are definitely better than others.

16. Lburou

Lburou Member

tec, over a long life, I've tried many flavors. ;)