scratching my head

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have had my beekeeping interrupted this year with sick dogs, sick daughter sent grandchild to me on the day I bought the queen for the cutout bees, who promptly disappeared, then I had to emergency get her a couple of frames of food and brood and nurse bees and stick her in a nuc. Then 2 more grandchildren arrived, couldn't go to the bees.

Got a litter of pups dropped on me, it was bottlefeed or let them die. got their mama fixed for free for my neighbor. Only good thing I can say about her is she called me when the crisis hit. I bought a lot of formula.

then this, I go to check on my healthy 2 box hive on Tuesday, and the top box has nectar or syrup and a bit capped, and a small patch of capped drone brood. Bottom has highly polished cells in almost all frames, a couple with pollen or bee bread, no brood, capped or uncapped, no eggs, nothing. Went through 20 frames without seeing queen. No queen cells, no indication that hive had made emergency queen cells or a queen cell that had hatched after a swarm. when I set up that nuc I had moved the bees 3 feet away into a deep and medium (it was a deep nuc with 2 medium boxes of frames on top all full,) and put the deep and medium nuc back in place with the queen, who I released a few days later. So part of the workers from the bigger hive did come into the nuc. that would be approximately the end of June.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

so, in an established hive with only a little capped drone brood, no eggs, no uncapped brood, no queen cells, was my instinct that the queen was gone correct, or had she gone into a laying dearth because I thought there was a flow and there wasn't? I did go through all 20 frames of the large established hive without seeing a queen, but they are quick critters.

Had a student here, I injured my shoulder last week. I did a newspaper combine and put a nuc with fresh queen on top. Don't know if they are through yet, but all the workers from the nuc's spot were welcomed into the hive I put the nuc on top of. (left them frames and a return box on their bottom board, zero bees in it first night) No adult drones, in either hive, btw. (the nuc was started with a couple of frames from the established hive)

I hope to get back in the hive later today but yesterday was a long work day and I have a truck full of trash, 2 customers that need seen, and . . .

2. Austin

Austin Administrator

That's a lot to handle. If anyone can do it's you.

3. Gypsi

I have since researched my private messages on facebook and discovered I bought the queen on July 24th, not June. which means I did the split about July 26th. backtracking brood, there is still capped drone brood, if that is alive it was laid after the split, there are a lot of young worker bees, it has been 43 days since I did the split, those workers definitely hatched in that hive. I did a very poor job of feeding bees while my dog was dying and afterward had to catch up on postponed work, I may have 2 queens in that hive. Going to walk dogs, then open it up

4. Austin

Austin Administrator

Whenever I've lost a dog it's hard to do anything. They're part of the family. I don't blame you for falling behind on your other responsibilities. It's just too much.

5. Gypsi

I did figure out how all the nuc bees got in the front door without being challenged. I changed to a bottom board of unknown brand and it has front door and back door, I have to close that up today

6. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

when it rains it pours....you need a mental health vacation....I can understand having your own issues , pets and personal emergencies, but when other outside family stuff starts to encroach on my time thats when I take the proverbial phone off the hook...and add into the mix that the bees sometimes have a mind of their own...Ive had a bunch of surgeries this year , both hips got a complete replacement, just had the last one done the end of august..so checking or doing anything with the hives for weeks after surgery till I can walk around and able to lift weight, weighed in this year trying to get stuff done...I have the one strong hive and have been nursing a second hive I split to make there own queen and get going ..it looked like they were doing good with a bunch of queen cells , but then I think some of the stores got robbed as when I checked again, the frames that had honey were now almost empty..couldnt find a queen even though the queen cells looked hatched out..I put in another frame of fresh eggs and brood before surgery and when I can ill see whats going on...sometimes we have to hide from everyone else just to be left alone to ourselves to collect our thoughts and move forward..I give merit to the old saying" what doesnt kill you makes you stronger"...

7. Gypsi

I am just doing the next right thing right now, and cut grandkid and daughter time down to manageable levels. I have to file my taxes by October 15th and haven't started them. I did fix the back door problem on the beehive. Design flaw in the bottom board. They were having some robbing when I noticed it. We need an equipment forum, don't seem to have one. then I'll post some pics

8. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

are the grand kids old enough to get them involved in bee keeping? if so thats a great way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone....care for the bees and teach and watch the kids all at once..:)

9. Gypsi

Some of the grandkids are the right age, and I have kid sized bee suits but so far only one grandson is remotely interested. and one step-granddaughter thought it was pretty cool. My kids kids, they're kinda used to my house and know where everything is including the air conditioning.

10. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I hear you on that, seems the only thing they are interested in are dam video games..my kids are a lost cause, between that and an ex that poisoned their brains against me..I really dont see them anymore...

11. Gypsi

My kids are way too grown up and one has looked at bees with me, 2 are still in college with full time jobs. It's grandkids now. No video games here though. One tablet and I control it.