Screen bottom board. What am I seeing? Is it OK?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by dgrc, May 19, 2015.

1. dgrc

dgrc New Member

A question for all you more experienced beekeepers -- which is just about everyone. I just did my second ever hive inspection (4 weeks since I installed). The hive looks healthy -- lots of capped brood comb. Just to see, I pulled the corex plate from my screen bottom board. This is what I found. A couple dead bees, some random dirt,and a lot of yellow stuff I think is wax. My big concern is in the bottom left corner of the image. It looks like mildew growing on the yellow stuff. It all washed off easily enough with warm water and I replaced the plate. Does anybody know what it is -- and if I should be concerned?

Thanks,
    Don

IMG_0033.jpg

2. james007

james007 New Member

Is the black stuff toward the back. My screened bottoms leak and I had to tape them up. Also it looks like a lot of wax cappings for 4 weeks. are you sure they are being robbed? I don't know what I'm doing so that's just a guess.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

For what it's worth, for my colonies with screened bottom boards, I keep that slider board in the barn. All year, unless I'm doing a 24-hour count for mite drops. Yes, Minnesota is colder than Indiana, but there's not much benefit of having a screened bottom board if it stays closed up.

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Just looks like wax cappings from the brood nest. And since you have closed up the space and it doesn't vent-- and the housekeeping bees can't clean-- the green stuff could very well be mildew.

If you are going to use screened bottoms, ditto on removing the cordite board.

5. camero7

camero7 Member

disagree, I tried screened bottom boards. Found the bees built out in the top box, Closed them off and they began to build in the bottom box. I don't like them. But up to you.

For what it's worth - your photo looks pretty normal to me.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I tried a compromise by putting in sticky boards that had holes cut in them every couple of inches (from floating plants on a pond) and it did pretty well at helping bees stay warm but no mold or mildes. Until the SHB hatched and discovered they could hide in there and bees couldn't find them. I found shb larva on the sticky of one when I pulled them last week.

I leave the screen open most of the year here, but a snap change with brood in the nest I would put my vented stickies back in for few weeks in WINTER...

7. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

OOOOh! I like it! Holes for ventilation in the winter. I haven't yet found the balance between warmth and ventilation. As I have found out the hard way, bees can stand cold, or they can stand damp, but they can't live with both... and my woods hives can be both in January. I am running out of wooden ware; now I can use up my screened bottoms.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I used white sign material, corrugated, to float tomato plants on my pond (didn't work out, they didn't like the water). the boards were old sbb sticky' that had gotten fungus from too much moisture, so last fall I thought it over and shoved them in. Get them out in the spring or check for shb though, they were using them for secret hideout when I pulled them last week.