screen bottom plans

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Michbeeman63, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

Does anyone have a plan for a screened bottom. I am building two new hives for this season, and want to make them with screened bottoms. The type of plan I am looking for is one that has a removeable metal bottom that can be coated with vasoline and baby oil and pulled out for cleaning. Any links with such a plan are appreciated.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

3. ski

ski New Member

Perrybee has the link that I also use. You could put a metal slide in but I also use plastic or the corrugated sign material.
    The only suggestion I have for the plans would be to use a 1X6 instead of a 1X4 for the landing board. It extends back into the hive a bit further and looks better and may make it easier for the bees to transition up to the comb.

4. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

would you suggest a board below the sliding metal or plastics sheet? Just thinking about winter and the need to keep the hive warm. Normal bottoms are 3/4 inch boards.

do any of you think this is necessary in Southeast Michigan? Being able to clean the bottom to prevent mites is more of an issue in warmer regions.

any thoughts.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Something you may consider for a removable board and a lot of people use them is the corrigated plastic campaign yard signs left over after the election. Weather proof light weight and easy to store :thumbsup:

6. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

guess it would be fitting to use an Obama sign to have bee's deficate on. Ha Ha. Depending on which political position you are, you can use a Romney sign.

thanks for the idea.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't put a solid board under the screen. It makes a perfect breeding area for wax moths and SHB. Install the solid slide only or a few days at a time or in cold weather.

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

I have made 4 of these so far. They seem to work well. Instead of fabricating the drawer, I plug the back with a 1.5"X1.5" board with a screw as a pull. I place a throw-a-way aluminum cooking sheet under the screen to catch the beetles. When I first installed the packages in the spring (along with a load of beetles) I saw beetles the first couple of weeks. After that I never saw another one the rest of the summer.
    http://greenbeehives.com/abgrbe.html

9. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

:goodpost: