Screen for Small Hive Beetles?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, Oct 16, 2013.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

I am planning to put screens on the bottom of a couple of TBH to be used next year. I have had a lot of trouble with small hive beetles this year. I am planning to incorperate a SHB trap under the screen. My question is this,... Is 1/4 inch screen a good size? Is it too large? Will this allow bees through it too?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bees, including the queen, can go through 1/4 wire. SHB can go through 1/8 wire.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and another reason I have never liked screened bottom boards.... I say why not provide a revolving door so the small hive beetle will feel more at home.

4. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Thanks for your post.:smile: I don't intend to use screen bottoms. Just gonna cut a couple elongated holes in the bottom and cover with screen and attach a pan of oil directly under. These SHB were quite a pain this year here in KY.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Powwowman..... bees tend to propolise any kind of a crack or defect where the cold air might blow in. if you use 1/8" hardware wire the wire will tend to remain open although the bees may totally block off the spot with a dab of propolis.... on the other hand if you use plain old metal window screen fairly quickly the screen itself will be closed off with propolis and essentially become a plug.