Screened Bottom Board Question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DonMcJr, Jun 19, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok so I have a Screened Bottom Board and the "Sticky" slide in bottom.

it's 90F+ during the day and 60F-70F at night.

Should I remove the Sticky Board?

My Bees were busy today on the Buckwheat and the Clover and they were getting water from my pond.

Some small Beardig on one side of the Entrance.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I'd remove it, although, like most things in beekeeping, there are other opinions and many prefer a solid bottom board. I started with screened and haven't tried solids.

Walt

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

So it won't hurt to leave it? As hot as it is?

I guess in the Wild they can't remove a tree trunk...LOL

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It should not be on the hive at all in the summer other than when doing a 3 day mite count.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Trying to remember if any of mine are on. I think the nuc is, and the hive across the street has one. beetree hive has a solid bottom board because I haven't made more screened in a couple of weeks.

I used the sticky board last summer in full sun and hundred degree weather as I was doing mite counts almost daily til I got them beat back from very high levels. But I used a screened vent chamber on top to allow better airflow.

Gypsi

6. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

If you have bearding going on (even a small amount) every day in the 90+ degree weather, I'd be very interested in hearing your report on the results if you pull out the sticky board for the next few days. If you have the same high temps for the rest of the week, I'd love to know if it eliminated the bearding.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

I never use the tray or boards. I just leave the screen bottoms wide open all year long, including winter. Seems to be working for me.

8. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

Omie, do you experience very many high 90 degree days in a row in NY? Do you ever see bearding at all with your hives?

9. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I leave my SBBs open year 'round. I only use the slide-in tray when I'm doing mite counts.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Omie writes:
    I never use the tray or boards. I just leave the screen bottoms wide open all year long, including winter. Seems to be working for me.

tecumseh:
    I myself somewhat enjoy folks revealing what works or doesn't work at their particular spot of ground here on earth. I also seems to recall that the Hudson Valley weather is a bit milder than other places fairly close by most especially location with some elevation.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

88F here yesterday, going to be in lower 90's today. I noticed the hives next to my garden (yesterday), the ones with solid BB's were bearding and the ones with screen BB's were busy working. I also keep a top entrance on my hives year round, this works for me, but your weather may be different in your location. Jack

12. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok I'm gonna go out and pull it now...it's gonna be hotter today and is alread 81 F... I'll post later this evening and let you know if it stops the bearding...

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I put popsickle sticks under my telescoping top to help with the air flow. I leave my SBBs open. I put my hives out in the full sun all day to try to help with the SHB. So far everything is working ok. I haven't noticed any bearding and we've had a week of 90F and it's going to be 95 Monday. I'm considering one of those Ultimate Hive Tops (since this year is mostly about learning).

14. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok removed it and took some pics...They weren't bearding but it was quite crowded on the landing board...

Before Taking the Board out...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

I like this pic cause I caught one Taking off...

[​IMG]

15. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

How long after you opened the board was the 'after' pic taken? If it was within 20-30 minutes, do you think that is a fair representation of 'before' and 'after'? I would imagine it would take at least that long to truly vent the hive, bring internal temp down to its new levels, and for the bees to readjust the business of the workforce.
    just asking.
    agreed....neat pic of the take off.
    something to notice: look at each pic. There is one bee who is sitting in the exact same spot out on the edge of the board, right on this side of the center of the board. You need to hunt him down. He either needs a white hat or a job. No room for slackers in this biz!

16. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

That pic was only after about 5 minutes...

Looked this evening...no bearding...must have helped!

That one bee was doing her job...she was fanning for ventilation...

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Not too many +90F days in a row usually, but yesterday, today, and tomorrow are above 90 for sure. It was around 95 today and sunny. Should go back into the 80's for a while after tomorrow.

I have little bearding on my hives. I do see inside the bottom slatted racks filled with bees during hot days. I have the open bottom and also ventilated covers that keep the hives cooler in summer and warmer in winter. So no, I don't see much bearding even in +90 temps.

18. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

What's SHB?

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

SHB=Small Hive Beetle

20. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

So I took the sticky board out of the bottom board..when would you put it in again for a 3 day mite count? End of summer? We have a package of bees vs a nuc? thanks Halley