Screened Bottom Board with Beetle Trap

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by OB2, May 14, 2010.

1. OB2

OB2 New Member

I lost 90% of my bees last year because of the small hive beetle! Brushy Mountain does not have a screened bottom board with a beetle trap, and they have no plans to build one. Betterbee also does not have a screened bottom board with a beetle trap. I bought 1 screened bottom board with a beetle trap from Walter T. Kelley Co. However, the Kelly beetle trap just sits on top of their slide-in debris board. The Kelley Co. did not design a new bottom board for the beetle trap. I am waiting for the Kelley Co. to come up with a better design. Additionally, I am not familiar with the Dadant screened bottom board with the West Beetle Trap insert.

I am desperate for 20 screened bottom boards with beetle traps. Does anyone have any comments? Any input from you guys would be appreciated! :cry:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

where's OB1?

the ABJ did an article recently comparing bottom board type beetle traps. You might wish to consider the Freedman (may be Freeman??) Beetle trap. He has a web site... tried to look it up but can't seem to find it right now. If you get there he also has a very excellent article (published in the ABJ some time back) called 'The Season of the Beekeeper'. I have pushed the article as required reading for all the new beekeepers in our bee club.

ps... the hive beetles did not kill your hives. the hives grew weak (for whatever reason) and the small hive beetle simply took advantage of the situation. the is similar to hearing folks year ago tell you that wax moth killed their hives. both the shb and wax moth are opportunistic scavengers who simply take advantage when ever it might present itself.

3. C Smith

C Smith New Member

It's Ashley Bee Supply and the Freeman beetle trap. I just received some of their plastic trays to DIY bottom boards. You can buy the complete BB from them. I'm a new BK but they seem to have the most convincing info for the effectiveness of their design. BTW you can get the screen from Brush Mtn. if you don't have a source for it.

http://freemanbeetletrap.com/

4. vantapp

vantapp New Member

I have seen this bottom board trap and talked to people who own them.
    These things work. I am still trying to figure out how to get a cheaper tray so I can build them myself without paying close to $25 for just the tray.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Terry Storment 3911 S.28th rd, Dunnegans, Mo.65640 phone# (417) 654 350. Terry makes bee equipment for our Bee Club and makes the kind of shb trap that i think your looking for. He's a nice honest fellow, and makes first class equipment. Jack

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I spent $40 for a Country Rubes SBB last summer, and it is the greatest, but I just spent $50 for the sticky board material - enough to make at least 32 SBB sticky's, and I have 10 ft of 1/8th inch hardware cloth, a newly acquired antique table saw and a router I've never plugged in. I got on here looking for plans.

Gypsi

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

I build these and use a cheap disposable aluminum cookie tray in the bottom with oil in them. If you use them, you need to be sure and keep them cleaned regularly. And they work.
    http://www.greenbeehives.com/abgrbe.html

8. GrayGuy

GrayGuy New Member

Shb

I am not sure 1/8 or #8 cloth is wide enough for all the SHBs some I’ve seen are pretty large. However, it should work fine for mites. I am using the West SHB Trap from Dadant. It is not a metal cloth but a plastic pan cover which have fairly large slots. I just installed it and will check it this weekend. I have read that Sugar Dustings will help with mites as well as the SHB.