screened bottom board

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeeSpit, Oct 18, 2009.

1. BeeSpit

BeeSpit New Member

we have been using a Freeman Beetle trap for the last few weeks, and very happy with results.
    question is: do we leave it on all winter or put the regular board back on to help with keeping the hives warm?

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I don't know about your bottom boards, how they were built. The ones I make use roofing flashing to shut the bottom up.
    Just shut them enough to keep the drafts down. Most hive need some ventilation.

:mrgreen: Al

3. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Yup...more bees die of starvation than cold----even up north. :|

4. BeeSpit

BeeSpit New Member

thanks for the input. this bottom board is open to the elements except for a sliding plastic tray that holds veg.oil to trap the SHB's and mites.
    I'm thinking we need to put the solid bottom boards back on before it gets colder.

I'm in NW AR (home of the infamous ICE STORM FOR THE AGES)

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Can you just put the screen board on top of a regular closed bottom board, and have the closed BB facing backwards to shut its entrance, keeping the bees coming in and out right above the screen? Like this company suggests:
    http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=307

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

That's an option, but it doesn't provide as good ventilation (in summer) as a SBB with nothing below.

Some SBB's are not designed to sit nicely on top of a closed bottom board.

7. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Hi BeeSpit - I too am here in NW Arkansas and got a good dose of the infamous ice storm! I left my screened bottom boards open all winter and my bees came through just fine. We stacked a few bales of hay on the north side of the hives to protect them from the north wind. And the hay worked great when we got a nice sunny day because it helped warm up the hive for the bees.

8. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

If you are real worried about your bees getting cold you could always just slip a piece of poster board in the front for the winter and take it out next spring. I think arkiebees idea was really good though.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Can you describe that in more detail?- I don't quite get what you mean.

10. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Well, you just take a piece of poster board(like a yard sale sign) just big enough to cover the screen on the bottom board and slip it into the hive from the front entrance. If you want a little ventilation you can cut a hole in the part of the poster board that will cover the screen. That will prevent drafts and help your bees keep themselves warm. Also, that way you don't have to fuss over any parts of the bottom of the bottom board until next spring! Then in the spring you can take it out by removing the bottom board temporarily and prying the poster board off with your hive tool,as the bees will most likely have propolized it. although, the poster board will not work with the trap as well unless you cut a few holes it.
    I hope that makes a little more sense, I'm not very good at describing things?
    Sorry for being so vague before, I was hurrying and didn't realize it. :oops:

Something I heard of doing for the bees in winter is wrapping the boxes in a heavy,black cloth. I've never done that before but it sounds like it would work on sunny days, since the cloth would attract the sun's rays and warm the hive. :dontknow: