Screened bottom boards in AK?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BeeHunter, Apr 18, 2011.

1. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I'm just starting up here in Alaska and was asked by the guy I bought some bee's with about why I am using screened bottom boards? when all he's seen up in AK have been solid bottom boards. I have used screened and solid bottom boards in Missouri for a few years and prefer the screened even in winter. The overnight temps up here are around 30F and daytime temps soaring up to around 55F. I havent been to a club meeting(next Monday) so thought I'd ask around the shop here?
    Any Alaska or Great North beeks have any input on this?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

BH is there mites or SHB that far north? I would venture to say no. Just my thinking (and that is asking a lot), but the solid bottom boards would hold in a little more heat for the brood nest.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

First I would ask myself the PRIME question... What do screened bottom boards accomplish (no matter what the location) and then proceed from there?

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I have been to AK in the summer. (Flowers everywhere!) I know it can get so cold it kills the moose in some winters. I think having an open mind about might benefit you.You might have to leave what you know about beekeeping at the Canadian border.
    I hope you share the information you gathered at the bee meeting with us. I am curious about the experienced beekeeps answers. I would like to know how they plan for spring build up in such a short amount of time. Maybe that's where the two queen method comes in handy???(you mentioned a two queen method in another post)