seafaring bees

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Just got a email on another removal, a boat storage yards got several boats with large hives in them :lol: gonna call in the morning, this 1 should be worth some pics if I do it :D

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't imagine you could do any cut-outs on a boat :shock: Don't think they'd work too well after :lol:

Keep up the good work and remember the pics. :thumbsup: (you must have a lot of spare gear kicking around) :confused:

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Perrybee has a good point!

As a boat owner myself, I recommend that you make sure you have the permission of the BOAT OWNER, not the storage yard person, before setting foot on a boat. There are many things you need to be aware of that are not issues in the land-based world. For example, a chunk of wax falling into the bilge may seem like nothing to you, but when it clogs up the bilge pump when the person needs it most, it can be a disaster, or at least very expensive.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

nope Im screwed now, I have 2 deeps left, 15 empty frames(no foundation), no tops or bottom boards, all these cut-outs been too big for a nuc (figures have 10 of them sitting) and I have 3 cut-outs to do, not counting the boats :roll:

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I agree hobie, and I know the boating world well, I have a 28 footer and live 5 min from the gulf, the boat owner has 2 real happy days, when he buys it and when he sells it :lol: :D but I will get in writing permision to do any work of any kind on this 1

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Talked to the boat yard, he has 4 boats with large hives, he said they been in the boats for over a year , I told him it be 2 weeks before I could even look at it and he said no rush, love no pressure jobs :D gives me time to order more gear.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

BOAT:
    Bust Out Another Thousand

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Zookeep: "Boat owner has two real happy days, when he buys it and when he sells it."

:lol: :lol:

9. jb63

jb63 New Member

Dear Santa, I've been very good this year.For Christmas I would like some more equipment.I need deeps,lots of deeps,and more frames.At least ten times as many frames as boxes.And a fork-lift and and and it never ends. Sincearly,Zookeep

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

lol Dear Santa I need it all :D

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

FOUR honeybee hives in a boatyard? Either there's some really good forage nearby, or perhaps they are not all honeybees?

Of course, I'm thinking "north," here, where everything is brown and dead for 6-7 months, and the yellow jackets move in as soon as you throw the tarp on.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Santa.....I need deeps, and more frames. At least ten times as many frames as boxes."

Santa responds: "What? You don't think Santa knows about beekeeping? You don't think Santa knows there are ten frames in a box? You think Santa is new at this?
    Hmmmmmmmmmm! Let me check that naughty and nice list again."

"Dear Santa I need it all."

Santa replies:" What? Living in Florida and having almost year round beekeeping isn't enough, while friends in other places are shoveling snow?
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, where's that list again?"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Talked with the yard again and going to start the removals in January sometime, glad they are holding off cause after today's email I have 3 others to do 1st.
    today's email: "The hive is totally open air under a low eave on our house . Slice off and one has 'everything'. I'd be interested in keeping a good sampling of comb/honey(I've never tried to poison/kill, and even fed them some fruit juices, never stung)." sounds like 1 I would want :Dancing: