Seagull Scenario #2

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Larus, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

This scenario is, unfortunately, real - it's happened to a beekeeper in my town, and probably to several people who read this forum. I haven't had to deal with it, thank God for small favors, but it's one of those things that make me mad, and a bit scared, sometimes.

You have a beehive in an open field on the edge of town, a couple of miles away from your house, where few people beside you ever have any reason to go. Unfortunately, lately a group of teenagers have picked this field as the place to park their cars, hang out, drink beer, e.t.c. For their personal amusement, they like to push your beehive over with the front bumpers of their cars right before they drive home.
    You talk to the police about this, and they say they will keep an eye out, but they have neither the manpower nor the inclination to patrol that field every night. They are also not very motivated to help guard a beehive - they consider bees a bigger menace than drunk teenagers, though they never say this to you in so many words. So, the vandalism keeps happening, though not quite as frequently.
    You put up a chain-link fence around your hive to restrict the kids' access, but this provokes them further. They climb over the fence with cans of gasoline and torch your hive.

Do you give up on this location as a beeyard, or is there something different you can do next time you put bees in this location?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Larus.
    One of my yards is located next to a Primary to grade 9 school. I have had a couple of cases of vandlism there but I also have more than just one hive there. If it was just one hive I would probably move it, but this yard is a good one so I do my best to minimize the problems (remove all the big rocks from around the area that are tempting to throw, etc.).
    As far as dummies with cars, not much can be done (maybe a bunch of boards with nails scattered around the hive?) Just thinkin out loud. ;)

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A few well placed carpet tack strips around the hives will deter skunks from attacking the hives. I would start with a couple empty hives. At night, they won't know the difference.

Not only 4 legged skunks.

4. Larus

Larus New Member

:) I'll remember that about tack strips and skunks. I haven't had to worry about the 4-legged variety where I live (there are a lot of racoons around here, I think they've muscled in on the skunks' food supply), but the two legged variety are an occasional problem.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I had a problem with a druggie cutting the cable (with private road sign) across an old logging road through my property to my hives.(in the woods) He used it to get to an abandoned shack (falling down) on the adjoining property were he made meth. :roll: I went and talked to the sheriff about it, he said they've had him in jail 11 times for pot and were trying to catch him making meth.He told me to do what ever i had to do, and winked. Well after the cable was cut three times and hives pushed over and lids removed, i buried some 2x4's across the road with nails in them covered with leaves, i went back up there two days later(60 miles) and the cable was cut and down the road his truck sat with 4 flat tires :mrgreen: I called the sheriff and he sent a toll truck for his truck, that was four years ago and i've not had a problem since. :thumbsup: I'm not promoting violent acts, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do and it can make things worse, i was lucky. Jack
    PS. he must of had something cooking in the shack because it burned down.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm thinking empty hives. let the grass grow up a bit, and make sure the "carpet tack" strips are big enough to take out a car tire. Shame on them for driving on your skunk deterrent.

Not a recommendation. Vandalism brings out a side of me that I don't like.

7. beehandler

beehandler New Member

a few well placed infra red game cameras ....if possible and one set to get the lisc. plate # and to record the theft of one visibly placed camera. makes it kinda hard to deny in court !!

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

we had a similar situation here awhile back. It didnt envolve bees. Instead it was a farmer that several cords of firewood cut and piled at the edge of a field. People was comming out in the middle of the night helping themselves to the wood. He took an old single bottom plow came out about 50 yards from the wood put the plow in the ground and made a trench. The would be thieves thought he had pile dirt there to stop them. Needless to say they drove over the mound of dirt and into the trench getting high centered. They was caught still there the next morning when he got up and around