Searching for gloves

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crackerbee, Jan 11, 2012.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

I recently bought a jacketed veil and also have a full bee suit(heavy and hot) that I searching for beekeeper's glove that only come just past the wrist.It gets unbearably hot down here in Fla. and the gloves I have now come up almost to my shoulder and that's makes for double layers on the sleeves.I've checked with most of the usual beekeeper's supply company's,but have only found some that were just as long(as the gloves I have now) but were ventilated.

Anyone out there know where I can purchase shorter "beekeepers" gloves that don't come up much further than the wrist?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Dish washing gloves.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Dish washing gloves" :eek: :shock: :(

Geez Cracker, don't get those, wife sees'em and you know what'll come next.
    If you do buy'em make, sure they are not in the package when you get home and refer to them as mechanic gloves or some such thing! :lol:

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

While they are hot, they are extmely cheap, and give you natural feel.

I buy a box of blue Nitrile gloves, and when I am done with them them I just toss them, box of 100 is like $7

Lowes DIY also had black nitrile with a long cuff, but they tore pretty quickly, and like Idee said dish washing gloves work too.

I try not to use gloves but after a few stings to back of hand and looking like Michelin man , I use the Nitrile gloves most days.

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

do the nitrile gloves stop stings....i have some leather mechanics gloves with the streachy knuckles that i WAS using....they would walk up to where the leather stopped...wave that stinger around to say ha ha....an then plunge it to the bone.....but i could handle that...no big deal...we are beeks right....then on the last cut out i had on said leather gloves an when i reached up an grabbed the ''second'' handfull of comb (it was an ambush) it felt like i grabbed a bobcat....spent the rest of the day watching them sting me right through the leather part of them gloves....just thin leather i guess....Rast had the real beek gloves on like the vented ones you mentioned....not a sting....when i am just checking hives tho the leather mech. Gloves worked fine an i like the tight fit....have you thought about those puncture resistant gloves the police wear for searches....they problly are short....just a thought.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yes the nitrile gloves do stop stings, you can feel the bees hitting your hands at times when not being gentle or moving too fast.

I have one hive of Italian mutts that like to tag me, but are prolific honey producers, the other hives don't abuse me......

The reason why nitrile, is they are puncture resistant, take a fork and try break them, they won't puncture.

I also have leather but found them too bulky.

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I use nitrile for hive inspections but during a dearth of fooling with a cut/trap out I wear vented Bkeeper gloves, even took an old pair and cut the cuffs off so they only come up half way between my wrist and elbow, held them up/closed with rubber bands until the wife took pity and sewed elastic in them. Jim

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or you could call and see if someone like kelley still produces gauntlets (I peaked in a old kelley's catalog and they now call them 'heavy cotton canvas sleeves with elastic at top and bottom') and they go buy any kind of leather gloves that suits you. long ago when I started beekeeping my mom would sew me the gauntlets and I simply used my day to day leather work gloves for bee keeping.

9. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Thanks for the heads up onthe nitrile gloves. Bought 25 for $4.00 from Lowes today, used them when I opened the hives to feed, and they work great.
    Thanks, robert

10. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Thanks all for the advice,I think I'll give the nitrile gloves gloves a whirl,the price is right

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

yea....and i can use the gauntelt idea from Tec. Cause i still have the canvas rookie gloves that come with the starter kits....at least i think i do....havent seen them in a while....hmmmmm

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

you SURE they cant get me thru these....im eyeballing these from the drivers seat O my truck an they look kinda....thin :/

13. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Bees can sting through nitrile gloves just like you can cut your fingers off through Kevlar cut-proof gloves. They work because you will not be giving off so much "I'm scared of you girls" pheromone. You will not crush as many with the tactile feel of nitrile gloves either. I have worked some pretty defensive hives with Nitrile gloves and not been stung.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or go gloveless for a awhile.

1) you may come to like it!

2) if you plan to raise queens for trade or sale you will need to get there anyway.