Second call of the season

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by SlickMick, Aug 20, 2009.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Got a call this afternoon about a swarm on this lady's wall outside her lounge room. It was about the size of a child's head about 2 metres off the ground. She lived close by so I went around. Well the swarm was about the size of a softball or less. I observed it for a little while and I realised it was getting smaller.

The bees were entering the cavity between the brick outside and the plasterboard wall inside. You sure could hear them through the inside wall.

So I got to the swarm just an hour or so too late.

Because we dont seem to have the repellants you guys have access to in the US so I plugged up about 50 or so holes in the brickwork and went home to make up a cone. When I got back there were bees all along the wall looking for places to get in. Some were even trying to get out of others when I removed the plug. Good thing that I had plugged up so many holes.

Anyhow, the long and short of it is, is that the colony is inside the wall. I have no way of encouraging them to leave except that I have left one hole with the cone on it.

Question is how should I proceed?

I was hoping that I did not have to do a full trap out as I really dont have the time to deal with it and in any case it would be my first.. not that I want the experience. I have a box that I can mount on the wall but I am reluctant to put frames of brood in it as we are just now coming into spring. Can I mount a box andhope that the bees will find their way in???

Mick

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

mick do you have a bee vac??? If so you could do a cut out from the inside............maybe, depending on how they build houses down there.

G3

4. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Unfortunately, G3, the inside of the wall is the main living room and they are not impressed with that option

Mick

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

So impress them with your cut out skills, after all you are SLICK MICK you know ;)

G3

6. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

You never know, I might be telling porkies :lol:

SlickMick

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

SlickMick,
    Would the homeowners be agreeable to allowing a colony in a managed hive outside for a few weeks, thinking that best would be to cone them as you were thinking, then allow them to rob the old colony out better then allowing the existing comb to melt down and have honey ruining the walls on the inside which it surely would. Within a few weeks the bees would have quite effectively cleaned up thier old nesting site. :)
    Barry

8. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Barry... Just lost my post and have to do it again.... gggrrrrrrr

Thanks for the advice. When I arrived at the swarm, they were just moving into the wall so I dont think that they had anything in there to start with. I now have a cone mounted and they are exiting and clustering around the base as I expected. I made a vax out of a styrofoam box and my wife's vacuum cleaner and I am vaxing them up near dusk each day. I am bringing them home and releasing them into a nuc where I have placed a frame with comb, honey and house bees and they seem happy to stay there. Numbers are now fairly well reduced and I am hoping that over the next few days I will see very few exiting.

I had thought of your suggestion but I am reluctant to rob one of my existing hives of eggs, brood and nurse bees at this time. I may still do this if I still see lots tomorrow evening when I go past again.

Will post on progress. Thanks again

Mick

9. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

I eventually have the wall bee proof and the cone working as it should. I have been calling by late in the afternoon when the foragers are wanting to get back into the wall and vacuuming them into the styro. It is working pretty well and I am still hoping to see reduced numbers over the next few days. So far they are bearding at the base of the cone and are quite easy to vacuum into the box. I can see that I am going to have to build a more sturdy box that will do the job. I cant complain about this one however as it has worked quite well

Mick

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Does the nuc have any eggs or queen in it????

If not what are they going to do for future bees, and might just end up with a laying worker.

G3

11. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Tonight there were far far fewer bees on the outside of the cone and nowhere as many coming out through the cone so it appears as though I might be getting to the end of things at last.

Earlier today I combined the nuc with an established hive. There were enough bees to set them up with a frame of eggs and brood but at the moment it was more of a simple matter to combine with another hive. I would say that in a couple of weeks I will be doing splits to try and reduce the tendency to swarm.

Mick

12. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

An Update on the trapout.

A few days ago I replaced the cone with another that had the cone set differently as I thought that there may have been some bees getting back in.

Got a heap (about a softball size) a couple of times that I vacuumed.

Last couple of days there has been only about a golfball size group hanging around at the end of the day so it seems as thought they are coming to an end. No pollen coming in on those bees so I guess that Queenie has shut down her laying. A couple of more weeks and I should be able to remove the cone and set a nuc to rob out the honey

Mick

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you have it going your way.

That is a different way of doing a trap out for sure, but sounds like it worked just fine so far.
    Up next, the great honey robbery!!

G3

14. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Haven't vacuumed for a few days as there have not been enough bees to bother with.. less than a golfball size cluster at the base of the cone.

Yeah the great honey robbery is next. I am going away to Sydney at the end of the month to shoot archery in the World Masters Games and I'll be away for 3 weeks so I will set up the nuc (I have 2 now from swarms from my own hives) when I get home and let them go to town.

Will stay in touch with the results

Mick

15. Charles

Charles New Member

Keep us posted on your archery shoot too, sounds interesting...

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Will the SHB hold off on the house until you get back?

17. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

That's a hard one to say. I saw one going in a week or so ago so maybe they are already doing their thing in there. I dont know that there would be a lot in there for them as I am pretty confident that I started vacuuming them almost from day 1. Never the less the bees were bringing in pollen for a while so there would be eggs and brood there for them and some measure of nectar and honey.

In any case there is nothing I can do about that. The trap out is too young to go removing the cone at this time. I guess that it is a wait and see situation

Mick