Second deep time?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jun 9, 2012.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I started with 2 packages in April with 2 deep boxes fully drawn with comb and stores from last years colony that died. I added a second deep to one of my hives as it was jam-packed with brood and stores but my other hive is a bit behind and I was wondering if I should have went ahead and added the second deep on the weaker hive. The weaker hive looks good but the queen is laying in a willy-nilly pattern all over the place. I found a queen cell in the weak hive that was opened at the bottom so the girls may have already replaced the old queen. I didn't see the queen when I inspected but I saw uncapped brood and eggs and the bees were exceptionally gentle so I suspect all is well. Should I give the weaker hive a week or two and then take a peek and see about the second deep then?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds good to me. See if that willy nilly pattern is still there. You may consider giving the weaker hive a boost with a frame of capped brood after a bit.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

You say the queen cell was opened at the bottom--do you mean the base of the cell in the comb, or the cap was chewed off. either way giving the weaker colony a frame or 2 of sealed brood can't hurt.
    Barry

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

letibee said:
    "The weaker hive looks good but the queen is laying in a willy-nilly pattern all over the place. I found a queen cell in the weak hive that was opened at the bottom so the girls may have already replaced the old queen. I didn't see the queen when I inspected but I saw uncapped brood and eggs and the bees were exceptionally gentle so I suspect all is well."

where was the location of the queen cell? from a package, it is likely your queen was superceded. if i opened a hive from a package i hived in april, and saw a 'willy nilly pattern all over the place', i would expect to see a better laying pattern, and would not think all is well. i think i would take a second look at why it is a weaker hive, and why the queen is not laying solid brood patterns, as perry suggested, especially at this time of year. and as barry and perry suggested, give it a boost from the stronger hive after doing so.