Second Hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Spaztck, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

I got my first bees ever this past Sunday. I posted in the introductions area yesterday and a few members suggested getting a second hive right away. I posted these questions there, but I thought this would be a more appropriate area. It's not too late to get another set of bees? I would have to order another hive kit first. I got my Nuc on Sunday, I was looking online and several places are sold out of Nucs.....I got mine through my local bee club. Is it too late for a package, if I decide to do a second hive? My original plan was to get another hive next year. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Get another hive if you can. Don't worry too much if you can't. The importance of two the first year is like 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. Two hives the second year is more important, as many first year beeks lose their hive anyway. Then the experience gets them through the second and subsequent years.

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

I'd go for it. :)

4. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

I'm with Omie, Go for it. That being said, if you can invest the time in one you can in another. You will not likely find any packages. However your local club will put you in touch with someone who is willing to split a hive and make you a nuc. With feeding and some care they will build just fine for the year. Just no expectations of a honey harvest. Does not mean you do not get a frame or two.
    You will see how the addiction gets to all of us.
    Tim

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you can get the woodware, pass your nme on to any local bee club, the police and the fire department or even exterminators and let them know you are interested in collecting swarms. If you should be lucky enough to get calls for more than one, you can always unite them (newspaper method) with your existing hives and strengthen them.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'll go with what all the others have said, especially efmesch. See if you can't pick up a swarm.
    As far as ordering more woodenware, you are only about 22 miles from Blue Sky Bee Supply (one of our sponsers here on the forum) they are in Ravenna. Drive over and grab what you need.

7. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

Wow, I did not know there was a bee equipment supplier in Ravenna....TY!!!

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Look over on the right side of the home page here on the forum, click on the Blue Sky Bee Supply ad.

9. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

Got it, thank you!