Second honey super

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Aug 3, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I just came in from checking my bees and they had about 7 frames of honey drawn out in the first super I put on. They are capping towards the middle and working their way out so I put on a second super...was this okay? They took forever to draw out the first super but now it looks like they mean buisness. I took the super off to go into the upper deep but I felt like I was going to overheat so I didn't check the brood boxes but all seems well, the bees are calm and the hive is very heavy. I sampled their gold and OMG was it delicious! My concern is if I put the second super on too soon. Is 7 or so frames good enough to add the new super? :-|

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you are about there, you might want to reshuffle the frames in the existing super.

3. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Thanks tecumseh..The weather here in Northeast Illinois has cooled off a bit and it seems we have a good flow going and I didn't want the bees to get crowded. I'm going to wait a week or so before checking them again but the bees seem to be making up for lost time as far as stashing honey. I wasn't expecting to harvest any honey this year but it looks like I am now. Time to start looking for an extractor!

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like tec. said, you must not be as dry there as we are in SW. Mo.? Isn't it about time for the goldenrod to start in your area? Jack

5. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Goldenrod...oh boy! Great for the bees..ME...not so much! :cry: It has finally cooled off some..we actually shut off the air and opened the windows last night. Had some rain 2 days ago and the forecast looks like things are going to moderate a bit. We have tons of Goldenrod around here and it really messes up my sinuses. This has been a bad year for particulates and I am suffering. I am pleasantly suprised by being able to harvest some honey this year :D ...although the summer isn't over yet :beg: ...All I can do is hope!

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I read everywhere that goldenrod gets blamed for allergies when in fact it is the ragweed that blooms at the same time as goldenrod that is to blame.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I hope you enjoy your honey--but don't get carried away. Make sure to leave enough to enable the bees to pull through the winter. Speak to other beeks in your area to find out how much is needed on the hive.
    If they have enough in the winter, you'll be able to start next year with strong hives and get a real yield.
    The patience of a beekeeper is measured in years. :shock:

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    I like that. "The patience of a beekeeper is measured in years."