Second inspection. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Jun 28, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

We did our second inspection tonight. Another frame drawn out, but still no queen. We saw some odd comb, and I did see what I think is larva. It's weird, before we got these bees I thought I knew what to look for, but now I'm finding I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing. Sorry for so many pics. I just don't know what I'm looking at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jason

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

pic #1 burr and brace comb built between the two frames because the are too far apart, violates bee space.

Pic #2 queen cup, nothing to worry about. Did you look to see if there was an egg or larva inside of it?

#3 capped honey on right and capped worker brood on the left.

#4 brace comb, nothing to worry about.

#5 good mix of workers and drones standing on nectar.

#6 Capped honey on the right and nectar and capped worker brood on the left. The torn place in the cells is where the brace comb was attached and torn off.

#7 capped honey and nectar with a queen cup in the center, again did you look to see if there was an egg or larva inside?

#8 capped honey and pollen (bee bread) with a queen cup.

#9 band of honey and nectar on the top with open brood and capped worker cells on the bottom.

#10 same as above.

I made the pics as large as I could but did not see any eggs. You have had a queen within the last week according to the size of the larva.

Most times you will find the queen on the frame that has eggs on it, but not always.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tell me more about these bees.......

How and when did you start them?

They just do not seem to be growing very fast.

4. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I didn't see any eggs when I had the frames out. What color comb would they be on? We got them in a 4 frame nuc almost 2 weeks ago. The queen was in a little cage. We were told that the day after we got the nuc that we should release the queen if they didn't do it. I opened the hive on sunday and the queen was still in her little cage. I opened it up and she ran down into the hive on one of the frames. She had a bright green dot on her. That was the last time I saw her. Did we get defective bees?

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

OOHH, you have only had them two weeks, I was thinking much longer than that. The color of the comb makes no difference, new wax is white and the older it get the darker it gets, she will lay in all of it. Just get the sun to you back and let it shine down into the cells and you should see little white specs, looks like a mini grain of rice standing on its end. My eyesight is not the best with my glasses on up close, so I take my glasses of and almost put my nose on the comb to see eggs. The plastic veils are hard to see through, metal a little better and none the best.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

They look pretty good to me. If you released the live queen and watched her go down into the frames then she should be ok. I'd leave them alone for another week and then look again. Checking them more than once a week at this point may set them back in their progress.
    When you inspect a frame, be sure to hold it above the open hive- that way if the queen (who is heavy) falls off the frame she'll fall back into the hive and not unnoticed on the grass.
    Make sure you push all the frames together in the middle of the box when you close up the hive each time- any space should be on either end, not between frames.

Seems like maybe you could could use more nails when you put your frames together...?

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

jason,
    some great observations and advice from g3 and omie, and i would concur with omie about looking pretty good. eggs....like g3 said get your back to the sun to see them, and i now wear my specs and will resort to using a magnifying glass to see them. eggs, your queen was there 3 days ago. you have larvae in these frames, your queen was there 6 days ago or so... about not finding your queen, some bees clean the dots right off the backs of the queens, or she may have been on the underside of the inner cover, a side of the hive or the bottom board. some queens will also move very quickly out of the light to the other side of the frame when lifted and examined. i would let them alone as omie suggested and check back in a week.

great pictures btw! :grin:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Jason, you got the experts' opinions loud and clear. Fear not, you are well on your way. :thumbsup:
    Follow their advice.:rules: Let the bees do what they know how to do best and have a week of patience.

9. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Finding the queen during inspections isn't necessary - what's important is finding evidence that she's there and doing her job. As others have said, for two weeks, your bees are doing fine. The queen is laying and you've got brood in all stages.

Eggs can bee very difficult to see, especially for middle-aged eyes! I don't see them unless the light is just perfect (rarely happens), so I look for tiny larva in the bottom of cells.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have started using a small flashlight to shine in the bottom of the cells, it helps also.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

You seem to have a good brood pattern, being interrupted by nectar back filling into the brood nest. This is perfectly normal but causes problems if the queen runs out of brood rearing space.
    Barry

12. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Thanks everyone. Most of the frames that have anything on them in these pics are the frames that came in the nuc. The frames that are mine are mostly empty. I'll give them another week and look again. Last night after I started this thread I went out and sat with them for a bit. They were busier than I have ever seen them. Then all of a sudden they were told it was time to come home and no more went out. Weird. I was out again this morning and they were hard at work again. A bunch of them were coming back fully loaded baked potato with pollen.

Jason

13. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

so should I put the second deep on? there are still 4 frames in there that have bees an foundation but haven't been drawn out yet.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No need to add another box until they have 7 or 8 frames of comb pulled out. You might want to feed them some 1 to 1 syrup to see if that will get them to building comb.

15. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I've been feeding them since we got them. 1 to 1 sugar water. They have only gone through 1 jar in 2 weeks. I thought it would be more than that.

[​IMG]

Jason

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

One jar in two weeks means that they are foraging on something else for the time being.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As soon as they fill the frames below, they are going to draw comb and store honey from the outer lid and attach it to your protective box and feeder. If you don't go into it for awhile, they will fill it totally with comb and honey. That is a dangerous way to feed, unless you have something in that top box to take up the space.

18. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I'm keeping an eye on it. So far there hasn't been one bit of comb in that top box. Just their food. I might move it and take out the entrance reducer and put their feeder out there.

19. stewart-malloy

stewart-malloy New Member

I've got a hive that's struggling, too. I got it April 21, and the brood pattern hasn't been very good. I'm feeding 1-to-1 sugar water and hoping for the best. Now I'm worried about the triple-digit heat and drought. I wondered if I could put a block of ice on top of the hive to cool it and then, as it melts, provide some water to the bees. Is this a stupid idea?

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

S-M, where in NC are you?

A piece of flat goods over it to provide shade would work better.
    Water within a thousand feet will suffice.