second son and the marines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Oct 3, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Well Im 2 weeks out from the youngest son starting the crucible at marine corps bootcamp in San Diego. and 3 weeks from graduating. Ole rats proud both sons will soon be active marines. Just had to take a 2nd to brag a bit proud of them men.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2 weeks to starting and 3 to graduating?? Only 1 week boot camp?

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

nope he has been there since august. Recruits are recruits until they complete the crusable towards the end of the 12 week boot camp. The crusable is the final test to be completed before they will officially be addressed as a Marine.
    http://www.marines.com/main/index/makin ... e_crucible

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK! Didn't know that.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

You must have done something right, even though he is a "Hollywood" Marine!

6. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Congratulations! I would be very proud as well. :thumbsup:

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

got a letter home from him today. With a list of the things he misses the most from home. The ole man didnt make the list but my 2 great danes was number one on the list. :D

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

An update on our youngest marine. He finished his final drills monday and at the end was coughing up blood. He has been in the hospital the last 2 days. Today they moved him back to mcrd medical where they are evaluating what to do next he has pneumonia and they are unsure what is causing the fluid build up they are leaning towards bronciolitis. They will make a desicion today as to weather to put him in a medical platoon until he heals then put him back in training or give him a medical discharge and send him home. All he has left is the crucible. We are all pretty crushed right now especially our young marine. Please send prayers our way thanks

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Senior DI called and gave us an update good news they moved Tyler to a medical unit until he gets back on his feet. He has a case of pneumonia once he get up and going they will then put him in a platoon to finish bootcamp. cant imagine going through the marine boot camp sick like that

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I feel for him. Send him our best wishes.

11. Americasbeekeeper

Glad he got med platoon. I know how disheartening it would be after going that far.

12. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

If he made it as far as he did with pneumonia, they probably figured he is an amazing person and losing him would be a loss to everyone. I hope he is better soon!

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

We talked to the recruiter today he said the DI's should have stayed in contact with us daily and didnt. Tyler's DI called this morning gave the phone to Tyler. Tyler told his mom real quick tht he had been moved to a medical platoon then said oh yes the DI said to quit calling. The only way we could make contact with the DI was to call the Senior DI who in turn would make the DI return our calls' :D

14. Americasbeekeeper

breaking news -- they can talk or train! I hope for your son's sake they train. Drill instructors are awake working from 0300 to 2200 seven days a week. Their life is more regimented than the recruits'. The recruits are supposed to write home regularly. Most do not unless forced, I mean encouraged, to. Recruiters are Drill Instructor drop outs so there is a little animosity in the response you received. We were not allowed to call parents or family unless there was a compelling reason. The shear logistics of calling 80 or 90 parents every day spending even a couple minutes on the phone is impossible, and gets back to priorities -- talk or train?

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you are correct they are very busy men. When the hospital called my wife they gave her the phone numbers to both the senior and tylers DI's We only called once a day and would have only called once if the DI would have followed up on what he said he was going to do. You know how mommas are when they have a sick child. no matter where they are at :D :thumbsup: