second super- above or below?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Omie, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok, don't laugh, but I never had to add a second super before, so here's my newbie question for you all!....:lol:

....I have two busy hives that each have one honey super on them. Each super is more than half full now with comb and nectar, but not much capped yet- should I add my second supers on top of the first supers, or underneath the current supers? (There are excluders on top of the brood boxes.) We seem to be having a decent flow here and there is comb building going on.
    What say ye?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

great news. I always top super when adding

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I mix frames with full and empty. Then it doesn't matter which is on top.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I top supered and "baited" the new super with 2 or 3 drawn frames from the bottom super.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

as stated above super on top baiting with drawn frames from the bottom super.
    Barry

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Ok, will do. Thanks everyone!

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i top super omie and i don't do any 'baiting' or moving frames around unless it is foundation. a 2nd super, very cool :grin:

8. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

See, now this is interesting -- I was taught to bottom super, as (so I'm told) the full super on top wil draw the bees up through the empty, where they will turn to each other and say, "Oh my, we seemed to have missed this earlier. We really should fill it up and begone with all this empty space."

I figure if it made a huge difference one way or the other, there would be only one way to do it.

What really matters is that you are putting a second super on anywhere. Congrats.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

^^If you have a top entrance being used heavily top supering accomplishes the same thing. The bees have to walk through the empty top super ;) I have top, bottom, and middle entrances lol.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

There may be a bit of truth to what you are saying CeeGee, however:
    If you bottom super with drawn comb, there is always a chance the queen could move up and decide to raise brood up there. Easier to use the first super as a honey barrier.
    Once you have more than two supers on, do you really want to be lifting those off to bottom super every time?
    Ultimately you are right in what really matters. :thumbsup:

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very good points by eddy and perry:
    "If you have a top entrance being used heavily top supering accomplishes the same thing. The bees have to walk through the empty top super :wink: I have top, bottom, and middle entrances lol.

"Easier to use the first super as a honey barrier.
    Once you have more than two supers on, do you really want to be lifting those off to bottom super every time?
    "

i also have top, bottom, and middles...they take a 'scenic tour' wherever they put it away:lol: and to perry's post, if one has 3 or more supers on (sssshhhhh!) juggling them around is not practical, and they all get filled :grin:

12. Omie

Omie New Member

All my hives have both bottom and top entrances, and they all like their top entrances a lot. So the foragers will be traveling through both supers often anyway. I have excluders on, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about keeping the queen out. Keep in mind too that I don't put foundation in my supers, so I think that bringing a couple of drawn frames up into the totally empty new super on top would be most sensible. :)

13. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Plastic sheet on supers

I use a different set up when putting a super on a hive.

My super frames have a comb length of about 14 inches. When I have a super ready to go on a hive, I put a 10 inch wide strip of thicker polythene sheet across the top bars. This is smoothed flat and fastened to the outside of the super with thumb tacks. The super then goes on the hive.

I was advised of this dodge to encourage the bees to fill the outer frames and prevent chimney effect. Since using it, I have found a couple of other advantages. When you lift one super off another, there is less chance of lifting out an attached frame from the lower super. It is additional work to remove the sheets for clearing/extracting but any brace comb on the top and bottom bars is crisper and easier to remove.

That's my two pennyworth. I'm going to find grandpa's old battle helmet. I might need it if Iddee or Tec start throwing rocks. .:grin:

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Actually Barbarian, that kinda makes sense (to me anyways).

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't throw rocks when I don't understand. GOT PICS?

16. pturley

pturley New Member

I've seen something similar to this before, but it was a thin inner spacer (sheet of thin plywood with a 3" x 8" oval opening inserted between the boxes).

This is basically blocking the path to the upper super to only over a few capped honey frames. This way the workers have plenty of access up and down but the capped frames still act as a honey barrier for the queen.

17. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Sorry Iddee, no pics --- cameras bust. Operator is not much better.

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That ain't fair. How can I throw rocks if i can't see the target? :roll: :grin:

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

bcd80be27af85b3d7797e9019d0769d5.gif

"That ain't fair. How can I throw rocks if i can't see the target? "
    iddee send him one in the mail?:lol:

omie said:
    "I don't put foundation in my supers, so I think that bringing a couple of drawn frames up into the totally empty new super on top would be most sensible."

omie i forget you are foundation less, so i would do this as well.

barbarian,
    a question for you? you said:
    "I put a 10 inch wide strip of thicker polythene sheet across the top bars. This is smoothed flat and fastened to the outside of the super with thumb tacks". and "I was advised of this dodge to encourage the bees to fill the outer frames and prevent chimney effect."
    wouldn't this interfere with ventilation? a hive body wrapped across the top with plastic? :confused:
    if i see any chimney effect in a super, i just move frames around.

20. Omie

Omie New Member

Not to say my frame hasn't ever had a foundation on occasion, but mostly i find foundation use a bit constrictive for my purposes...
    found6_large.jpg