Second week of April!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Apr 9, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Ok, it's the second week of April and my bees should be available to pick up this week! Hurry up and call me dang it! :lol:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

OK, what's your number? :lol:

Failing that, you're a Dang It!

Feel better? :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

(Sorry, couldn't hep meself)) They will bee there before you know it. Patience. :wink:

3. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I remember being in your shoes....its a very exciting time!! Plan on sitting in a lawn chair next to your hives watching your girls come and go. Watch to see what color of pollen they bring back in their pollen baskets. Some will be tan, some yellow, some orange, some brown. Some won't have any pollen in their baskets. It's almost therapeutic to sit and watch your bees. Hope you enjoy it! :)

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Hey I am in your shoes waiting for my bees, got tired of waiting on hearing when I will get them so made a call. I got a deffent date the 21st, 11 days away, I am setting on ready. I had purchase only one package of bees and was able to get another one, so now I will have 2 hives, yeepee, can hardly wait myself.

kebee

5. oblib

oblib New Member

Plan on taking a couple days off work as you won't want to leave your hives. Got mine on a friday and seldom moved move than 2 foot from a hive the whole weekend, then was late to work on monday:lol:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dave and Oblib are right on correct...I have watched my bees for hours already and I have only had them for 7 days. I have two buckets turned upside down out there right next to the hives. My favorite vantage is from the back as I can see what directions they are flying off to. Observation is reward enough...honey will be a bonus....

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I already do that! Think that's why I'm still single! :lol:

8. Joseph Clemens

Joseph Clemens New Member

I remember being that fascinated with honey bees, and I guess I still am, it's been more than 46 years now. Actually, now that I've started raising queens and a few nucs, it's become even more fascinating, I hadn't thought that possible, but I guess it is.

9. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Called the bee supplier just now. Went from first week of April to second week now to first of May! GRRRRR!!! They are saying it is way too cold right now. She said it over and over. Ahh, last month it was in the 80's. Ok, that isn't normal. The next two days or so in the mid 50's and 70 this weekend. How's that too cold. Not a happy camper!

10. Omie

Omie New Member

And put this song on while you sit...
    http://youtu.be/vX4cZiIddKk
    (ah, the quaint days before cosmetic dentistry!) lol!

11. Omie

Omie New Member

Crazy8, I feel your frustration. Not much you can do but assemble frames and paint boxes etc.
    Take some comfort in the fact that even if you got your bees right now, they would be rather slow anyway due to chilly weather. Once you get them and the weather is truly warm, they will take off booming really fast and make up for being a bit late. I had a friend last year who had to wait until June!

12. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

too funny.

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

let us know this winter when you drag that same lawn chair out in a pile snow on a nice sunny warm winter day, with a cocktail in hand......and a lost tourist sends the sheriff out to check on you and see if you are doing okay......
    i think he laughed harder than i did...
    :grin: