Secondary swarm queen piping?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by clinch, Jun 22, 2013.

1. clinch

clinch New Member

Here's a quick question for some beekeeping experts:

I caught a swarm today from a tree in someone's front yard. The swarm was quite small and I suspect that it is a secondary swarm with an unmated queen.

When I first approached the swarm, I observed them for a minute or two. I swear that I heard "piping" coming from the swarm. I've never heard a queen pipe before, but I've watched several videos.

Is it possible that this was a virgin queen piping from somewhere within the swarm, or was I just imagining it?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Entirely possible Chris. You may even have a couple of them in there.

3. clinch

clinch New Member

Thank you very much. I spotted the queen from this swarm today, but no real way for me to tell if she's a virgin queen. I do suspect that it was a secondary swarm based on its size. Amazing how fast they are building comb though!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

In our area the bee supply store that sells nucs also sells swarms when they catch them. They go for the same amount as a nuc because of the number of bees and the prized comb building mode the bees are in.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In all my 41 years with bees, the closest I've come to hearing "piping" queens has been through the written word. I envy you clinch. If I thought you'd hear a repeat performance I'd ask you to record it and post it. Maybe someone else in the forum could get a chance at it. I'd be real thankful to hear this aspect of bee communication.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Here you go Ef.

[video=youtube;AYecvVhkpKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYecvVhkpKI[/video]

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Thanks Perry. :bow::bow: Very much appreciated.

8. clinch

clinch New Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure I heard piping coming from the swarm. Now I wish that I had recorded it with my phone or something. Thank you!