Securing beehives against wind gusts / ALFA Updated 5-9-11

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bamabww, Apr 20, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Well I found out first hand last night the answer to whether I ought to secure the hive against wind gust. I work third shift and when I got home this morning we had had a terrible wind storm last night. half of my barn roof is missing, several 6 inch diameter limbs are broken off the giant oak trees in my yard, some cedar tree damage and the hive I had not secured yet because I didn't have any bees in it, had the top cover blown off. My active hive has a landscape brick on it and it was still intact this morning.

I'll put in a call to ALFA insurance later today and see if they can help me with the barn roof. A friend of mine who once was a beekeeper told me that ALFA didn't like beekeepers or at least when they found out he had bees, without any new claims turned in, raised his insurance premium. Guess I'm going to find out about that first hand also.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Re: Securing beehives against wind gusts and ALFA

Sorry to hear about all of the wind damage you got and hopefully the insurance company will take good care of you.

What is the deal about them not liking stinging bugs kept in a box :confused: :confused: :lol: :lol:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry to hear of your loss.I had a similar thing happen insurance wise.

Got a call one day from the Insurance co. reminding me my policy was up at the end of the month. Out of the blue they asked if I kept bees?
    I was completely surprised and alarm bells went off in my head. :eek:
    I said yes and then they quickly asked if they were on the property. Ah, I said, no they wern't.
    They asked where they were and I told them on other folks' farms.
    They wanted to know what I did on the property beekeeping related. I told them assemble gear, extract honey, bottle it, make candles.
    They quickly asked if I sold from home. I said no, at the farmers market.
    I asked if there was a problem and they said no, just curious. :roll:
    A week later I got a letter advising me that when my insurance was up at the end of the month they had no interest in keeping me as a client. Seven years with no claims and no explanation! :-x

I have often wondered what on earth brought this whole episode to their attention?
    Needless to say I now have a different insurance co.
    Tuck your hives out of sight when they look at or work on your barn. Out of sight, out of mind.

4. rast

rast New Member

Sorry to hear about the wind damage. No consolation, but been there, done that. At least it wasn't your house.
    My agent did an "on property" check about 3 months ago. He was only concerned about some tree limbs over the house. Never said a word about the 15 or 20 hives in the back field.
    Of course I still had a premium increase.

5. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Hello Bamabww. I was concerned about high winds myself because we often get them where I live. But then, what area of the country anymore doesn't after what happend in North Carolina over the weekend. :eek:

When we set our hives in place my husband ran anchors into the ground on each side of the hives with one shared in between each of them. We picked them up at Lowes and they are normally used for pets that are kept on a chain. They screw in fairly deep and attached to each one is a quick release strap that is run over the top of each of the hives and pulled tight. It allows quick and easy access while giving the hives some security during storms. I imagine it also helps against coons and other small varmints, but I hope to never find out. ;)

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I use to worry about the wind blowing over my hives.... which does happen here along the edge of the great American Plains with some frequency. after a number of occasions when I had bee hives upended (not just the top blow off), I determined that such episode were useful in that any hive that did topple over was almost always top heavy and bottom light. if these hives had remained in this configuration very long other problems (hive beetles/wax moth) would have much more certainly led to their demise.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Three years ago two of my hives (i called the twin towers) were blown over. They were side by side, and let me tell you it wasn't a fun thing, i didn't know which super belonged to which and they were p'od. It took me 4 tries to get them upright guessing which super went where? They would cover my bee suite and so many flying you couldn't see what you were doing. I now put a concrete block on top when they get tall and put a 2x4 brace on the sides. Don't want to go through that again. :roll: Jack

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

The adjuster came while I was tilling up a field to sow some buckwheat. She was gone before I could get back to the house but I did see her stop and take a picture of my bee hive, which is located between the house and the barn.

She called yesterday and asked me about the barn roof and needed an estimate on the cost to repair / replace. I asked the ALFA lady about the bees and she said "while ALFA doesn't ask policy holder if they have bees, they do document those who do if they ever have the opportunity. As far as I know, ALFA had nothing in their farmowner policies that forbids or restricts the policy holder from keeping bees, but that's not my area to be concerned with."

I guess time will tell after the home office gets a hold of the info and photos.
    More later as I hold my breath.

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Re: Securing beehives against wind gusts / ALFA Updated 5-9

My ALFA agent told me that ALFA supports beekeepers and beekeeping is listed as a commodity on ALFA's list of farm products it supports. He said there was no truth to the rumor that they won't insure or will cancel the insurance of beekeepers. He strongly recommended that I have my hives registered because that will be asked if I ever file a claim. He said my registered beehives would be covered by my farmowners insurance if listed in the same way as an outbuilding rider.

So that's straight from the "horses mouth" for what it's worth.

Now to see if my premiums increase in November when my premium comes due.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Re: Securing beehives against wind gusts / ALFA Updated 5-9

I would have the horse put that in writing.