see pic: i took off my mann lake 4 gal. top feeder to add another deep

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 25, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

went to add another deep on . took off the feeder and it was loaded with burr comb. should i have scraped it off? and if so what do u do with the honey soaked wax? i left it and just added the deep. did i do it wrong?

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would have scraped it off and just set it out where the bees can get at it. They will have the honey stripped out of it in no time and leave you the dry wax. Not really good practice in a dearth as it could set off robbing. Leaving it on there will just make a mess that you will have to deal with next time. Also you may crush a few bees between the bottom bars of your added deep and this burr comb when you put it on.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In this case, there is no right and wrong. Just pros and cons with both choices. You did fine, but removing it would also be fine.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I routinely scrape such stuff. likely doesn't do much good this time but it does make the next inspection less messy.

the extent of the comb built suggest you should have added space a bit earlier.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Anthony,

You are just a few miles from me. The bees really don't need to be fed. There is so much in bloom and has been since mid-March. I would let the girls do what they do best.

I've made some 2 frame splits in March and April and they are booming now. Neither was fed.

On another note, how do you like those feeders?

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Like Iddee said, you didn't do wrong. Other than making more of a mess the next time you pull them apart. Like Perrybee said-I would have scraped it off and put it on the landing board of the hive, (I use Mann Lake style hive standa with a sloped landing board) The bees will clean it up and leave you with clean, dry wax to use when you start candle-making.
    Side note to Eddy Honey: I don't know how adamant feels about those feeders-but I love them. I drive truck and am gone during the week and home on Saturday. When the bees are feeding heavily before the flow in early spring, I don't worry about them going dry while I'm gone.