see pic. looks like moths are in my hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, Aug 19, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

what to do? this honey super is empty. should i remove it? place it in storage? i am not is a possession to freeze them!
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Don't see wax moth signs from what your showing here, wax moth will normally attack brood comb, but will destroy any comb while searching for more favorable food, if It's any consultation thee damage done under that circumstances is purely incidental ( yeah lol no consultation ...)
    Barry

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't see anything indicating wax moth. Those jagged edges of comb were most likely created by bees uncapping and using the honey, as in a robbing situation.

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

You sholud remove it and store it. Definitely not in a damp, shaded area, unless you put PDB (Para-moth) crystals on top and seal it up.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

this time of the year bees will chew up wax and move it to other areas of the hive where needed. I would remove the super and let them go about getting there home ready for winter

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what riverrat said.

if the remainder of the combs in the super are similar to the one in the picture???? the yellow wax offers nothing for wax moth anyway. from now till the first cold spell you could likely leave outside with little problem. most time I just set such super in some dry sunny spots with the frames pointed upwards. come the first cold spell generally you want to stack them inside and secure from the mice.