Seedum

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Eddy Honey, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I bought 5 pots of seedum as a birthday present for the wife and lo and behold the honeybees think it's for them!

IMG_2083.jpg IMG_2084.jpg IMG_2085.jpg

2. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

of course it is, one of the fall favorites!

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

eddy,
    "I bought 5 pots of seedum as a birthday present for the wife and lo and behold the honeybees think it's for them!"
    :lol:
    great pix eddy! seedum is an excellent plant for honey bees, we have ton's planted too!

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Sedum is very popular around here too right now. That is to say popular with my bees.
    Someone taught me this little secret and it works well. If you have trouble with your sedums flopping flat as the summer progresses, try this. When they reach 12 inches tall in the spring, cut them back by half. This will produce a sturdier upright plant. I then take the cuttings and dip them in root hormone(I'm not even sure the root hormone is needed). I stick them in a large pot of potting soil and cover with a clear trash bag. The trash bag is mostly to keep the squirrels out but it does have a bit of a greenhouse effect. I place the pot with cuttings in a location that get filtered light. I water when needed. Once rooted, you can pot the whole pot as one big plant, or divide and make numerous smaller plants.