Seeing eggs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 1, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

In response to a great picture on another thread "multple eggs."
    Seeing eggs for the first time is like having a light switched on in a dark room.
    I remember my poor mentor years ago, showing me frame after frame for it seemed like a month:
    "See this patch here, see the eggs"?
    But for the life of me I could not.
    Finally after 3 weeks or so with his frustration level surely reaching breaking point, I responded:
    "Oh yea, there they are," when in fact I could STILL not see them. I did not want to dissapoint and felt it was better to go along.
    But several weeks later it happened! There they were and I actually saw them, just about dropped the frame in my excitement!
    After that my eyes knew what it was they were looking for and it actually became quite easy. :mrgreen:
    Fast forward a few years and I am approaching my 53rd and I have noticed lately that those eggs are suddenly getting harder to find.
    Ain't it funny how life seems to go full circle! :lol:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

For myself Perry there are several things that help. numero uno.. I never wore glasses to fairly late in life so for quite a spell I did not realize what I wasn't seeing. numero twooo... dark and very much used comb means the white eggs just show up much better than on new wax. numero threeooo... good light from behind and very little shadows <I am almost lost when I get in a shady spot or when the evening light gets low to actually see much of anything that small.

3. kbenz

kbenz New Member

my second year and I aint seen an egg yet. mostly new white comb though probably doesn't help. been thinkin bout wearin my readin glasses under my veil though.:)

4. Omie

Omie New Member

This is the start of my third year and I'm finally now seeing the eggs too.
    They are so tiny! trying to see them through the veil mesh doesn't help either. :roll:

I even saw some TINY new hatched larvae today- must have been 1 to 2 days hatched- still not curled completely into a 'C' yet even!

Bees are so cool.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

kbenz I have two different veils, first one is jacket style with the plastic type screen, very hard to almost impossible for me to see eggs. The second one is a folding or square type veil with metal screen and it is easier to see them. On new white comb I find it easier to hold the comb up and let the shine through it, the eggs just seem to stand right out to my eyes.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

I have to wear my glasses but my mentor did a great job day 1. Showed me the light over shoulder trick

7. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Heaven knows I have trouble seeing eggs. I have to settle for if I see small larva I figure there are probably eggs around somewhere. Dealing with reading glasses under a veil is a pain in the butt. Invariably they slip off as I bend over or something. I am thinking of seeing if I can find an elastic band thingy to strap them on. I think they make something like that to keep glasses on little kids - I really need to check that out in my copious spare time :D

JC

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Ah yes, glasses.
    I have been given the enviable news that I have "progressed" to needing "progressive lenses"". I have since discovered this is the name they now give to what once was known as "bifocals."
    I hate them! When I need to see something clearly when looking at a frame I tilt my head back and actually look underneath the lenses in order to see clearly.
    I am sure anybody watching me must think that surely I have some sort of strange affliction, twitch, or involuntary tic making me somewhat resemble a chicken in my mannerisms.
    Oh well, I get by. :mrgreen:

9. rast

rast New Member

Thank you. I have a pair I got some years back, your neck starts hurting just trying to read a book. I reverted back to $5 reading glasses.

10. kbenz

kbenz New Member

thanks for the tip g3farms.

yes glasses are a pain. I sweat alot so that would be a bad idea any way

11. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Whoever stated that "eggs are a little smaller than a grain of rice" has either neither seen a bee egg or is using very small rice.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mini micro rice?

a snip..
    I am sure anybody watching me must think that surely I have some sort of strange affliction

tecumseh:
    well yea...

you are a beekeeper so any strange affliction should be about right.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

[quote="G3farms" On new white comb I find it easier to hold the comb up and let the shine through it, the eggs just seem to stand right out to my eyes.[/quote]

I will add to this that both sides need to be eggs for you to see through it like I am talking about. Older comb that has some color to it you will not be able to see through it.

14. lmtfi

lmtfi New Member

While the ability to focus on such fine detail certainly is an issue - I'll note that my method for seeing eggs best comes down to rotating the frame in the sun to light the interior of the cells best.

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I agree, sunlight from behind shining down into the bottom of the cell will show the eggs the best, and can be seen even better with your veil off.

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have found that eggs are much harder to see when I am wearing my Sherrif suit with the finer fabric veil. When I am wearing my old beat up folding veil with the slightly larger metal type mesh the eggs are easier to see. The only problem with the old veil is that the tiny black flies up here can go through it but not through the Sherrif.

17. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I have considered taking a magnifying glass with me because even with my glasses on I have trouble seeing up close. Not sure how easy it would be to handle it. In my case it might have to be a fairly big one. :roll:

18. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I lucked out too three years ago. The guy that brought the hive over angled the frame just right and I was finally able to see some eggs too. Hallelujah!