Seeking Bat House Plans

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Hobie, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Does anyone have a link to good plans for a large bat house?

Apparently my large colony of bats has succumbed to the white nose virus. Very sad. We used to have hundreds in a big nursery colony, living in the attic. This year, only a few individuals. I think this is why we have a mosquito problem this year.

Anyway, I never really liked them in the attic, but the benefit outweighed the guano I had to clean up. I would like to put up a bat house in the hopes that new bats will come and choose that instead of the attic.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Bat Conservation International, http://www.batcon.org, at one time had plans on their web site...don't know if they still do.

As I recall, there was one that used 1x2's as spacers between 2x2 sheets of plywood (2 sheets, 2 chambers). 1/4" plastic "hardware cloth" was attached to the plywood walls of the chanbers as hangers for the bats.

Walt

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I've heard that guano is more expensive than gold... don't know if that's really true or not though.

I made a couple of single-chamber bat houses this year, but haven't put them up just yet, and I have no idea if the design I used (I kinda modified plans I found online to fit the scrap materials I had on hand).

5. Guba

Guba New Member

Sorry to hear about the colony loss Hobie. At least the survivors are immune.

I made a small bathouse, but the only time I ever saw it get used was during a heavy down pour at night. I figured that with a rain, I could go out with a flashlight and shine a light up into the house and get a head count. I saw one, he just ducked in to get out of the rain.

I also made a bigger colony sized house. Basically the same story. Mine only get used to stay out of the rain.

They say location is key. This year I got the idea of opening up my attic vent and partitioning off a small section to contain them. That's still in the works, now if only the time!

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

OK, here's all you need to know about bat houses.

First you have to make a bunch of money with fried chicken and then you buy the worst 5,000 acres in Blanco county and restore them. Now, with all that experience turning around 5,000 acres, you're ready for the ultimate bat house (remember, everything's bigger in Texas :D :

http://www.bambergerranch.org/facilities/bats.phtml

Or, as David Bamberger calls it, the "Chiroptorium". When we visited him in 2000 or so, the bats hadn't moved in. They've moved in now! :Dancing:

Walt

7. Guba

Guba New Member

Now that's a bat house! Not sure, but I think I saw Batman peeking from inside. :yahoo:

8. rast

rast New Member

Hobie, did you ever get a bat house up?

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Nope... building things like that is a winter project! Bats are all established by now, anyway. Will try for spring.

10. rast

rast New Member

I thought, Winter project? That's when I'm busting it trying to get frames and supers ready for end of Feb. Then I remembered, Hobie, PA.
    Let us know what you do, I'm going for a couple of 4 chambers, about 30" X 18".

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Plenty of time for multiple projects when "winter" lasts for 6-8 months!

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

6-8 months!!! I don't know how y'all survive that..... Wow.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

We often wonder the same thing.
    I keep trying to move in with iddee for the winter, but he keeps changing the subject!

You know what they say about Erie... we have two seasons here: Winter and the 4th of July.

14. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Ya know what Hobie, I live 2 hours south-east of Iddee.....and you are more than welcome to spend winter here anytime. :D

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't believe her, Mama, She has been invited more than once. I think I will just have to go kidnap her and bring her down.

Maybe put a branch in front of the door to make her re-orient when she goes out. :thumbsup: :shock: :lol:

16. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

See there Hobie, you have two winter homes now!

17. Hobie

Hobie New Member

:lol: Oh, that one gave me a good laugh this morning! :D