Seeking recommendations for portable observation hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mpmurray, May 18, 2012.

1. mpmurray

mpmurray New Member

I'd like to obtain a pre-built observation hive. Must be portable so I can bring to occasional events. I like the Brushy Mtn "Ulster" model which is a glass covered frame above with a NUC box underneath. http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Ulster-Observation-Hive/productinfo/U501/

I might be able to over-winter this with some effort. But if there are other models I haven't found - please make me aware.

Thanks,
    michael

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I myself like those 'shoe shine box' observation hives. I construct one of these myself but I made them for medium depth frames since I knew I wanted something that transported easily and was not too top heavy.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome mpmurray:

Gald you found us. :hi:
    Iddee is correct. I was born and raised in BC and now live in Nova Scotia. How beekeeping is done can vary greatly from region to region. It helps those trying to answer questions.
    The other benefit is you may find someone on the forum that is near. Someone in BC just joined in the last day or two and I was able to recommend a local bee club right in their neighbourhood and my old mentor (who apparently is going to be starting a beginning bee course shortly) is the president. :thumbsup:
    There is plenty of great information on here to be had.

5. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Here Is the one I just Got...
    hive.png