Seems a little late

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DLMKA, Jun 30, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

For a swarm of this size. 8.6 lbs according to the digital bathroom scale.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341110049.788333.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Beautiful. With that many workers and a bit of feeding, they should build up fast.

Congrats.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOOO HOOO!!! That is a dandy!! better keep an eye on them, they will build fast and can fill out a ten frame deep in short order.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Like Iddee and G3 said, they'll fill up a box fast. Make sure you're ready with another brood box for them.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Someone's loss turned out to be your wonderful gain. Treat them well and in due time enjoy their rewards. :thumbsup:

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I gave them the last two mediums I have. Have more coming Monday from Dadant.

Not less than two weeks ago i talked to this lady, she's got a colony WAY up (30;' or more) in a tree and I turned down the bee trap because of the height and long drive from home. There's nothing around but row crops so these had to come out that tree.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:shock:
    WOW! Sounds like a great place to set up a swarm trap. :thumbsup:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Unless there's another tree or house within flying distance that holds a hive that no one knows about.

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

It's an hour drive out there but i intend on asking if i can put some traps up.

10. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Oh yeah, if you transport boxes stacked 2 or more high make sure you double or triple STRAP them.... I found out I have bee leak between my trunk and the inside of my car....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

ratchet strap was alittle too lose, no hive staples, hive body shifted a bit off bottom board, no telescoping cover, to actually seal off the top.... and you expected what? lol
    Good luck with the swarm.
    Barry

12. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I had a screened inner cover but had trouble getting the bees in flight to actually go in the box, didn't really think that through. I put the nuc covers over that to get them in the box. The bottom was just a sheet of plywood nailed on. I thought I had two straps in the car but was mistaken. I wasn't prepared for a swarm that big at all. Oh well, they've settled in and have stuck around for two days now, I think they're happy.

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

Thank you, duly noted :)

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Very nice catch! Did you have any idea they would be hanging to the inside of your trunk lid when you opened it? I would have probably fell backwards! Ha!

15. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

With the number of bees that found their way into the car I had a pretty good idea that something had come undone. When I stopped at home to get a bottom board and top cover I put my ear to the trunk lid and could hear them pretty plainly which affirmed my suspicion so I was pretty careful opening the trunk when we got the the bee yard.

16. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

meant to say "strap" not "stack"

17. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Putting out feelers within 50 miles looking for a swarm...nice catch. Tom

18. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Just an update on this swarm. They've drawn 2, 10-frame mediums and 60% of a 3rd medium. I gave them a gallon of syrup to start and they've stored what looks like most of it. I'm going to back off on the feed for a while and see how it goes. The brood pattern is second to none.

What I did find interesting is it doesn't seem like there are almost 9 lbs of bees in the hive, maybe just spreading them out over 30 frames is deceiving. Could it be that the swarm had multiple queens and only part of them absconded? Maybe there was just some drift to the other 6 hives in this yard. Either way, I'm more than happy with how they're progressing. We got 1/2" of rain Saturday morning so I went and bought 50 lbs of buckwheat seed to put on an acre of ground there that doesn't have anything planted, we'll see if it can make nectar with it being so dry, it was a $45 gamble I was willing to take.

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I assume that you check the hive during the daylight hours---when a lot of the bees are out foraging. If you were to open the hive at night (something I definitely don't recommend) you would most likely see a totally different picture. But to get an idea of the situation, go and watch the hive from the outside at night--you might very well find that not all the bees are inside, a good indication of a well populated hivel

20. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

good point, it was about 1500 hrs so a significant portion would be out doing what bees do.