Seniors = Golden Information

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Feb 3, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

As we travel through our busy lives, sometimes we forget about folks that could use just a bit of our time. I met a keep when we moved to Wolfville, his name is Norman and he is well into his senior years. He has had recent back surgery and asked if at some point I would be willing to help him if he needed to move some hives. No problem. What I really like about Norm is that even at his age, he can probably out "bee-talk" me in enthusiasm when the subject is bees :lol: .
    Anyways , I went to his place for a couple hours this morning and we sat in his little shed (wood stove a goin) and he was showing me some new boxes he was building. He was sharing information with me and the subject of smoker fuel came up. I told him I used pine needles, good cool smoke and cheap (if you don't mind raking). He said he used burlap. I said I used to use burlap and liked it but I was concerned with what it might be treated with.
    He chuckled and said you gotta know where to go. He gave me the name of a fair-trade organic coffee mill/shop just outside town and said to got there when I left.
    After our visit I went to the place and sure enough, untreated burlap sacks (even the dye they use for lettering on the outside has to be organic). I told them Norm told me about them. They had a pile of it and I almost felt guilty at what I loaded, but there was plenty left! They said they save them up for folks that ask and best part is the price......FREE!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I remember when I belonged to a bee club out west in BC I used to buy small bee related stuff for door prizes to each meeting to raise a few $$ for the club (hive tools, excluder, honey pots, bee salt/pepper shakers, etc.) and I would always BUY some burlap from Home Depot for a prize as well.
    Wish I had met a Norm back then! :thumbsup:
    The stuff seniors have learned is worth it's weight in gold. Take advantage of it!

P.S. ( I hope I have the privelage of becoming one!)

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Nice nab!!! Yep, the old folks have learned the most over time. :D

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That's why i read all of Perry and Omies post. :lol: Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

i have a friend here Perry who is developing a niche coffee roasting business. he roast a lot of organic and fair trade coffees from just about everywhere. I recently have been getting his torn burlap bags.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My days with burlap are over. :( Even if they're free. Somehow they always gave me a tough time starting up and they love to go out when you need them most. :evil:
    Used newspaper might not fully qualify as "Free" (if you bought it to read) but, crumpled up it's great to start the fire and rolled up corrugated cardboard (free) from thrown away cartons is just great to keep a fire going for a long time. :p When it burns down I either put in another roll or stuff in (free) dry weeds or grass from around the hives. :clap:

But maybe I really missed the real point Perry was making: It's nice to "chew the cud" with another beek and learn from an old timer's experience.