Sequoyah Village cut out 7-6-10

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Jul 6, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Ben of Bens-Bees handed this one off to me. Thanks Ben!

Nice little cut out in an old apartment wall. The brick wall on the outside had a large crack in it, the bees had entered inside of the wall space, no insulation. There had been another colony in the stud space to the right of them at one time, it would have been a huge colony, old comb remnants stretched almost to the floor.
    Did not see any SHB or varroa. Very small colony, only four deep frames of brood and no stores to even speak of. Queen was laying a very nice solid pattern. No drone comb that I could find.
    Kenny and Greg the maintenance men helped out. Kenny jumped into an extra suit I had and helped out. Thanks guys!!

These were some very gentle bees, only used maybe ten squirts of sugar water on them, no smoke at all. No stings or head butts.

[attachment=6:2225bqld]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 001.jpg[/attachment:2225bqld]
    [attachment=5:2225bqld]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 002.jpg[/attachment:2225bqld]
    [attachment=4:2225bqld]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 004.jpg[/attachment:2225bqld]
    [attachment=3:2225bqld]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 005.jpg[/attachment:2225bqld]
    [attachment=2:2225bqld]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 006.jpg[/attachment:2225bqld]
    [attachment=1:2225bqld]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 007.jpg[/attachment:2225bqld]
    [attachment=0:2225bqld]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 008.jpg[/attachment:2225bqld]

Attached Files:

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

good job, looks like they were about to have a substancial hatch out from all sealed brood.
    Think what they would have been able to do if they found a way into old comb.
    Barry

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Very nice! Wish I could have made it.

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Nice clean cut out, thanks for sharing the pics :)

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well everything went pretty good, even had AC in the room.

But I have been holding out on you guys, and Ben can add this one to the things not to do on a cut out. I have a Robo style bee vac, and I can tell you that the hoses need to be hooked up the correct way. I was just sucking up bees with everything under control and when I shut off the vac I noticed bees were balling up around the "damper gate" that lets me regulate the amount of suction. After about an hour they were really balling up and I thought they were just flying down to the vac. Then I realized my mistake, I had vacuumed all of the bees into the space between the top lid and the screen, DANG IT. After scratching my head and trying to figure it out the only thing to do was dump them all out. Wooooweee bees went everywhere, most went to the window and after a few minutes all was back under control.

Ben add to the list to make sure hoses are in the correct positions! :lol:

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

:lol: I actually labelled my bee vac with a big arrow across the top just to avoid that... let's just say, I have some experience with hooking it up wrong... :lol:

PS - my vac also let's me reverse the flow of air, that comes in handy when you do that... just point the opening in the hive body you want them in, and shoot 'em in! :lol: