Setting the wet frames above the inner cover.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I will be pulling the last of my supers today.

I read that you can set the wet supers above the inner cover and the bees will come up through the hole in inner cover and bring the honey
    down into the deeps. They said with it above the inner cover makes the bees think it is still outside of the hive and they will bring it down into the deeps.
    This sounds like a slick way to get the supers cleaned up without open feeding and you could pick the lighter hives to set the supers on.

Anyone ever tried this?

2. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Yep, It is how I get all my extracted frames cleaned. Works wonders and prevents feeding frenzies.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

To reduce the risk of the bees taking honey up through the feeder hole and into the super ....... I thumbtack a small piece of plastic over the feeder hole with just a 2 bee hole in it.

If you have some spare brood frames with just honey in them, these can also go above a reduced hole inner cover for the bees to move the honey down. To encourage the bees to move capped honey, scratching the cappings at the edge of the patch helps.

Regrettably, some strains of bees don't read the right books and will just re-seal honey cells. :grin:

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Barbarian; interesting about reducing the size of hole in the inner cover separating the supers. I have had them fail to bring it down; this year I added an extra empty box between the supers and the inner cover. Maybe a similar effect to reducing the connecting hole size.

6. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

For me it works with mixed results. I think it's all about timing. Sometimes they empty the supers, but sometimes they move the honey to one frame in the super. Last year there was still a flow on and they started filling the super again. This year I had one small patch of sealed brood that went through extractor, The bees moved all the honey to form a circle around the brood. Seems to be about timing, it takes them 24 to 48 hours to clean things out, any longer and they start making themselves at home.

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I've never placed on above the inner cover but have placed several under the inner cover for the ladies to clean out / up. I usually choose my weakest hives to do the cleaning. After a couple of days I'll pull them off and store them until needed. I guess it's a matter of timing but haven't had any problems yet.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

An extra box is what I was going to suggest. I have had the bees refill and cap an empty super on top of an inner cover. Silly bees!

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

setting wet frames above the inner cover......
    for bees to clean up wet frames and not store honey back in them on top the inner cover, your flow must be done, other wise many of you will get the results received......bees packing the frames again. i extract once, in the fall of the year, so i might place a box of wet frames, or lay mixed frames capped and uncapped 2 or 3 at a time on top of the inner cover, or in a box, after extraction, in late summer late fall after the flow is done, on top the inner cover. if some of the frames have some capped honey, i scratch these open. the bees will clean up these frames or the box of wet frames, (again, with no flow going). they move this down, preparing for winter months. also, if you are in a *dearth or have bees that are in need of feeding, place the frames above the inner cover, and again scratch open anything that might be capped, the bees will readily move this down. (excellent way to feed bees with frames of nectar/honey).

*in a dearth it is not necessary to place a box of frames above the inner cover, unless you don't want your queen laying in these boxes.....i don't worry about this, my russian queens shut down in a dearth and do not lay in my honey supers. if your bees have put away some honey and a dearth comes on, just leave the box on, they will utilize it. if you are in a dearth and have some extra frames to give them, let's say you have deeps, and only have medium frames to give them, then lay them on top of the inner cover, or place the frames in a box on top the inner cover.

i prefer to give the bees supers this way, over open feeding/robbing, even if it is some distance from the hive. i don't care for it, and i also have to be conscious of not leaving wet supers out because of bears and other critters.

hope this made sense. :grin: