setting up another new beek on Sunday

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

he is a member of the suncoast bee association and has done the books and everything he can find to learn so now is the next step, I have a nice nuc with a black queen going to his 1st hive, gonna deliver and help him install it, we plan on using a hive top feeder with 1 to 1 for the next month to build them up for the flow, he plans on registering here also.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Way to go. Each and every one counts. Beekeepers and members.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Is it a Queen you raised your self or one from a cut out? Nice to see you helping out new beekeepers even though you are fairly new your self.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Is that offspring from "cone-o-bees"? "Investments" like this always result in good "dividends". :thumbsup:
    I'm a big believer in Karma. :wink: Well done!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

ATTA BOY!!!! :thumbsup:

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Its 1 of the Canadian hives grand daughters, I will try to take pics on Sunday and apis Im not new Im reborn so to speak, I was a beek when I was young and got back into it, didnt have all these pesky mites and beetles and crap back then either so theres been a bit of new to learn.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Perry snip...
    I'm a big believer in Karma.

tecumseh...
    yep... that is the way I see these kinds of things also.

a few years ago I wandered down to Brenham Texas to take part in the beginning of a bee club (Central Texas Beekeepers) and at the time the room was full of a lot of faces of folks that didn't know one end of a hive tool from the other. now I look around and see a crowd of people some of whom I nurtured along and now they are quite excellent beekeepers. although I get no money rewards for this the reward to my inner being are unmeasurable.

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

God bless you folks that help new beekeepers get started. And I do mean, God bless you. Twenty months back my wife and I watched some "you tube" videos and used that knowledge to install three packages of bees into second hand equipment. I would have gladly paid a beekeeper to assist me, but my bees are probably 60 miles from the nearest apiary, and at that time I did not know or correspond with any other beekeepers. We got it done, and those hives are prospering. Again, many thanks to you fellow beekeepers that assist beginners and add to our ranks.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:thumbsup: ... Ditto.

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

and its done and he is 1 happy beek, he goes by the name MCBee on the forums.

Attached Files:

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good job for sure!!

That looks like one happy new keeper!

12. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

What is in the pans the hive stands legs are in? and is it for ants or the SHB. Nice hive stand it looks like it is made of plastic.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nice lookin' boxes. did he not have time to put on a coat of paint? also in order to have the proper look that pollinators jacket need to be much dirtier.... don't ya' think? perhaps it is just me but every time I see some article in the paper or net in regards to beekeepers and their suit is all white I always think... huh they certainly must not be doing much beekeeping to keep their suit that clean.

I have come to the OPINION zookeep that organic matter around the hive is a pretty good nesting spot for the small hive beetle. almost any landscape that limits the places for the small hive beetle to hide and flourish in the hottest or coolest times of the year is a good thing to consider prior to setting a hive down in a location.

sharin' what you know with other is always a good thing. hats off to ya' for bringi' someone else into the bee keeping community.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What a nice lookin set-up he has there, I really like the hive stand. :thumbsup:

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yes its a plastic stand and the pans are filled with oil to keep ants away, the hive is done in a clear and is in a half shaded area because of a lack of any other place on the property to put it, the jackets bran new so give it a short time it will look almost as bad as mine.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The pans full of oil is a good idea, at least until it rains, then they will be full of water.

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zookeep, add my hand to those stretched out in congratulations. It looks like you did a great job starting MCbee off on his way. With that stand, it looks like he's already on level 2, no simple starter on level 1. With you backing him, he's going to be flying solo soon enough.
    :grin: :thumbsup: