Beekeeping Forums banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
G3, I hate to hear stories like that. :cry: Why is 'Man' the worst predator of all? The others don't know better as it is for their survivial but man should. You should have set some bear traps around the hives covered with grass and such so they couldn't see them.
I know this is a very old post but I just happen to be a very new beekeeper as of this year but to add to your post, I want to tell of an incident such as this relates to. I know a friend that kept 11 hives many years ago. The hives were about 300 yards from his house. Trespassing hunters came trough and knocked over all 11 hives. What possesses people in close proximity to one another to do such things to others ? My friend was so heartbroken that that ended his beekeeping with a great sadness.

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
When I set up my hives, I put up a fence. behind the first hive initially so it couldn't be seen from the street. Then more fence, I fully fenced the lot the hives are on, and the gates are kept closed. I live in a city, and I could see this happening here. As it was a big wind threw all my hives in a puddle a couple of years ago. They did live. Being smart bees they got up on the top corner of the box and waited for me to come and rescue them.
Water Sky Plant Building Watercourse

61 - 65 of 65 Posts