Shadow of the Bear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slowmodem, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

In the mountains between Highlands and Cashiers North Carolina is a mountain that casts a shadow in October and February that looks like a bear (or a rat) at 5:30 pm. Since the first time I saw it in a news article, I was determined to go and see it. Well, we went today on an adventure to go and see the Shadow of the Bear.

It was foggy when we started, but after a little while the fog burned off and the sun shown brightly. We made it without event until we got to Franklin, NC. I missed a turnoff and went about 20 miles past where I should have turned, so that was a total of 40 miles out of the way. We got back to Franklin about 5:30 pm, and the sky had turned overcast. :( Well, we decided to go over there anyway and at least find out where it is and look at the pulloff and photography area. We got to see a couple of waterfalls on the way between Franklin and Highlands. Hopefully, the next time we go over there, I'll have a good camera instead of the phone camera. I already have a tripod. But, looking at the photography area, I'll need red triangles and a orange vest to stand beside the road and take pictures.

This is Dry Falls (I suppose it's called that because you can walk under it and stay dry)

[​IMG]

This is Bridal Veil Falls:

[​IMG]

This is what the shadow of the bear is supposed to look like:

[​IMG]

and this is what I saw when I got there:

[​IMG]

The photography area is a foot-wide gravel strip between the road and the guardrail. It's going to be treacherous if there is traffic there. That's why I think I'll take red triangles and an orange vest. Also, the times stated didn't say if it's 5:30 pm EDT or EST. It was getting dark when we got there around 6:00 pm, so the next time I might get there around 4:00 pm just in case. My wife is wanting to go back in February. So we'll see. At any rate, it was a scenic drive and the leaves were very colorful in spots. Some at the end of the journey were already dead, as it's over 4,000 ft ASL and it was getting cold up there already. The Whiteside Mountain (seen in the pictures on the right) is supposedly the continental divide for the eastern mountains.

Photography Area:

[​IMG]

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Beautiful Greg, thanks. I'd like to see that myself.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I miss the mountains in British Columbia. We have the fall colours here in Nova Scotia, but about the only real "mountains" are in Cape Breton.
    Nice photos! :thumbsup:

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Very pretty. Thanks.

Walt

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

No loss. You still had a great trip and some beautiful pictures.

Sent from my YP-G1 using Beekeeping Forum mobile app

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have been up that way and in the smoky mountain era quite a few times and I will have to say the places are beautiful. thanks for the pictures Greg for showing me what I have been missing in the last two years.

Ken