Shaking out the bees - old beekeepers tale?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Jul 30, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

In June's Bee Culture mag "ask Phil" he talked about laying workers. At the end he states that shaking bees out to leave the laying workers is a "old beekeepers tale". That it is ineffective. What he prefers is to take a few frames of bees in a "nuc". Once she has been excepted combine the nuc using newspaper. Any comments? Suggestions?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I quit playing with a laying worker hive (most times not worth the effort). I will usually dump them out and remove there old hive and anything they might remember as home, and let them find a new home. If the laying worker hive still has a good population of worker bees and i have a strong nuc with laying queen, i have many times used the newspaper introduction method and put the strong nuc on top of the laying worker hive, and end up with a strong hive. Most times ( not always) the laying worker can kiss it's butt goodby.:eek: Jack

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maybe Phil leaves the laying worker hive in place after shaking. If so, I can see why it doesn't work for him. I shake them out and carry the hive inside. They then take up with any hive they can find. Some might not call that "working" since you end up with one less hive, but it's good enough for me. I no longer have a laying worker hive. I call that "working".

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

typical beekeeping you ask 1 question get 11 different answers from 8 keeps. Im going to have to side with Iddee on this one. :thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I don't know Phil but I do know Jack.

​I pretty much follow along with what Jack and Iddee describe above.