Shame on Me, what a mess, however

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Murrell, May 19, 2011.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

With all the additional work I'm sorry to say my 2 tornado hive survivors have been put on the back burner. :(

In late Feb. I did add a 3/4 spacer to each and fed them patties, and during all this wet weather I fed 1-1 syrup.

I use the 4.9 plastic frames, which I like, how ever the bees do use free space to build extra Drone cells, well did I mention the 3/4 spacer ??

Never seen so many drone cells and some honey in my life !
    What a MESS. :shock:

REMEMBER. if you feed patties and use a spacer, TAKE it OUT !!

Now the GOOD thing in cleaning this mess I destroyed many drone cells, I checked a Lot of the drones and found NOT ONE MITE !!! :thumbsup:

Murrell

PS. Supposed to get four Nucs this week end, We were supposed to get them end of April , how ever our telephone has not worked correctly since the storm, we only get some incoming calls ?? The telephone co. had two trucks out front working on the cables yesterday, I'm tired of complaining.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why shame on you? I think you did a fine mite check, and would have accomplished a good mite treatment at the same time if it had been needed. Good going.........

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

we can write you an excuse to get this excused under the circumstances this time lets hope it doesnt happen again :thumbsup:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Murrell writes:
    With all the additional work I'm sorry to say my 2 tornado hive survivors have been put on the back burner.

tecumseh:
    I would think the two hives should be somewhat of a reminder to you of the miracle that they are still here and that you and family are still there also.

putting stuff back together after such a disaster certainly places a real stain on people...

as Iddee stated most directly... the drone comb was quite an excellent mite monitoring method. perhaps you should patent the idea? ;)

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Yeah, who needs 'drone frames'....just put on a shim! lol!

Seriously though....good going on that low mite poulation.

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You are certainly correct with that statement, we were very lucky, the only one that has been affected is our beagle hound, before the storm she would sleep thru a thunderstorm never taking notice, now she paces the floor and gets under our bed.

We try to pet her, which helps but she's still nervous when it storms now.

Murrell

7. rast

rast New Member

Spacers and comb, yep, been there, done that.

I had a Lab that never got over a storm he went through outside. Took 2 trees down, one through the roof of my house. From then on he had to hide in my bathroom or under somebody's (long story) house.