Sharing honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The other day I brought 8 oz jars of honey in to work to share with everyone. (There are only 6 people that work there.) My boss refused his jar, saying, "I don't eat that kind of sugar." Huh? He's a big health nut, so I was stunned. I tried to explain, to no avail. It takes all types, I guess. More honey for me, then!

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I bet he eats hfcs and cane sugar both processed and both not as health as honey. Sounds like a vegan I ran into at the fair selling honey she didnt eat meat meat products or honey. you know the peta type. All the time she was giving me the what to for she was eating a cup full of ice cream. She left when I asked if she wanted some honey from my poor enslaved bees for her ice cream produced from poor enslaved cows

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

A polite person would have accepted the gift because IT WAS A GIFT, said thank you and then discreetly done something else with it without hurting your feelings. He could have gotten his point across using carefully selected words so that you wouldn't give him any more in the future. I guess next time you should hand him a bottle of Karo syrup!

Hey riverrat! Don't you like how people go out of their way to preach from their soap box?

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I'll bet (hope) the reaction to the honey gift from the other 5 was the complete opposite.

Walt

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I agree with riverrat, had to be a vegan... because by saying "that type of sugar" he's alluding to eating other types of sugar instead, all of which are less healthy than honey which says he's not refusing honey out of a health perspective but out of an ideological perspective. Just send him a thank you card for supporting beekeeping by eating more fruits and vegetables... which are pollinated by honey bees for a fee from the beekeeper. One way or another, we get their money...

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I almost spit out my coffee on this one! :lol: Shame on you for not having "free-range" bees.

I actually asked later. The boss is a big Stevia fan. Interestingly, for someone who is such a vocal health nut, he's not very healthy. I think there's a lot to the theory that playing in the dirt makes you stronger. Same with eating fruits and veggies while you pick them, unwashed. A large percentage of my garden never makes it to the kitchen.

The boss missed out. I'll give his jar to the UPS guy, who raves when he gets his Christmas jar.

The other guys were thrilled! Although one looked closely at my label ("Good Buzz" Honey) and asked jokingly what else was in it! I'm sure there is catnip...

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Nothing more fun than knocking a preacher off the soap box. When the pot is calling the kettle black :D

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hobie writes:
    I think there's a lot to the theory that playing in the dirt makes you stronger. Same with eating fruits and veggies while you pick them, unwashed.
    tecumseh:
    actually it ain't even much of a theory any longer. one of my married into the family inlaws was recently quoted in national geographics about research he and a group is doing in regards to children acquiring immunity which cannot be obtained later in life that pretty much makes this theory a fact.

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Hey whaddya know, I read that piece... thought it was a good bit of research. We've always let our son play in the dirt... and he's not once been sick enough to go to the doctor (in fact, he's only been sick once... and that was just a runny nose for about 3 days). He even plays in the chicken coop too.