Sharing tips I learned today

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Slowmodem, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

At this point of the game, everything is new to me (for the most part), so if I get excited about something that is old hat for y'all, please bear with me.

My dad and I went to a beekeeping course given by the local beekeeper's association today. I met several local beekeepers, and there was a representative from the state association and a master gardener. Some of it I had learned already from the good folks here on this (the best!) forum, and from books. But I learned a lot in the class, too.

I even won a screened inner cover (at least that what it looks like to me) as a door prize!*

But, the reason I'm writing this post is because the lady that gave the lecture on beehive safety had two great (I think) ideas I had not thought about:

A. If you stick your hive tool in your back pocket, you'll always be looking for it and reaching for it; and if you get in your car (or truck) you'll rip your bee suit and/or the seat. Solution: Keep a big magnet in your pocket and just stick the hive tool on there when not using it. It is always where you can easily reach it and it will not rip a car seat.

B. Keep a small tube of toothpaste in your toolbox (or work box or bucket or whatever). The baking soda or whatever is in there is good for stings.

I saw this post over on the "other" forum and will use the screened inner cover for this purpose of needed.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think if you look, the screened inner cover is true screen, as in window screen. The screened bottom board is 1/8 inch hardware cloth. The shb will go through the hardware cloth, but not the window screen.

The best thing for shb is to place the hive in full sunlight.

I buy more than 1 hive tool. If you only have one, you will lose it each time you go out.If you have a few of them, you will never lose one. ""Murphy's law"" :D

3. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

It gives my heart a lift to see enthusiasm radiate from new beeks. And there are so many more lessons to learn.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Iddee, one can never have too many hive tools. Because when you need one and you can't remember where you put it last, you just go in and grab a new hive tool and sooner or later, your old hive tool will surface.

4. PeeVee

PeeVee New Member

Good tip on the toothpaste. stings don't bother me but if my grand daughter should be with me in the yard this year and gets a sting, could go a long way to make her feel better.

and, I have misplaced my hive tool and that is on the list of supplies to get soon (2 are on the list!)

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just a bit of honey or soap will do the same thing when it comes to stings.... not that such stuff ever comes to my mind when it comes to stings.

one hive tool is totally inadequate. sometimes even four or five is not enough. recently after stopping at a yard I found three I had evidently dropped almost all in the same spot. seeing stuff when the sweat is dripping down your forehead and fogging your glasses is evidently a good combination for loosing stuff.

6. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Great idea with the magnet!! I will have to try that.
    But, be careful sticking a magnet in your pocket. Two things:
    1. Magnets can mess up a cell phone.
    2. Magnets can ruin a credit card's magnetic strip on the back if you put the magnet in the same pocket as your wallet.

Just FYI

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Slowmodem said: "Keep a small tube of toothpaste in your toolbox (or work box or bucket or whatever). The baking soda or whatever is in there is good for stings."

I've been stung just about everywhere--hands, legs, feet, face, even places I wouldn't mention, but the only place I can think of where I was never stung is on the teeth. Why in the world would I want toothpaste? :?: :lol:

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Hive tools. Here's an old tip I was given and have followed.

Have a tool in each hand when checking a brood box. It makes freeing a frame easier. You do not have to pass a tool from one hand to the other. Movement across the top of the brood box can upset the bees.

You will still miss-place your tools. :)

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Do Not - carry a magnet in your pocket, with your electronic ignition KEY
    it can/will screw up the code which will need to be reset !!

Also some stores { Kroger for one in our area } have a small plastic discount card to put on your key ring which they scan !
    IF the scanner hits your electronic key just right it can mess up the key code, dosen't happen often, BUT. [ complements of the Ford Motor Co. ]

Murrell

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

ROFL Thanks for a good laugh! :D :lol: