SHB and entrance reducers

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Yankee11, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I installed Screened Beetle trap bottom boards on all my hives about a month ago.

I have noticed that some hives hardly have any SHB (1 or 2) but some have quiet a few when I remove the top cover. The only difference in the hives is that the ones with low numbers of SHB seem to be the hives
    with the entrance reducers. Whats funny is the large strong hives are the ones I removed the ER's from because of congestion and their the ones with the most beetles. The small weeker hives with ER's have hardly any beetles.

I guess the full opening is harder for the bees to keep them out? I installed ER's on all hives last night. We'll see if numbers go down.

Am I thinking right on this? Entrance reducers may help with SHB's.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, entrance reducers help with shb, they fly right in the front door. The widest opening on any of my hives is the half height 2 or 3 inch on a standard entrance reducer. Most of them have a piece of 1x2 an inch shorter than the opening, either centered (for 2 - 1/2 inch openings) or pushed to one side for a single one inch opening the bees can guard..

3. vermillion

vermillion New Member

In my yard the strongest hives have the most SHB, they are attracted to the scent of the hive and those hives have a strong scent to be sure.

In the hives with no entrance reducers, the beetles always fly into the hive on the side of the entrance with the most bees, but I also feel that the entrance reducers must be helping some...

I have oil trays on all the hives. Invariably when we pop the tops, we break open a beetle jail and set a bunch free. I am getting pretty expert at squishing them.

Be sure that you have proper bee spacing, and that the bees can patrol all the sides of all the frames. Keep the burr comb to a minimum and your hive tool at the ready for squishing!

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I went to very small entrances a few years ago. I can count the beetles in a hive on one hand if there are any at all. I did not come up with the idea. A USDA person I work with has very small entrances and I saw it has worked for him many years. He cannot use beetle traps, chemicals because of what he does.

5. Gypsi

I've never had many shb, but courtesy of non-stop robbing attempts in 2011, I've had my entrances shut down to small since August 2011. Never saw a reason to open them up.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:rolling::rolling:

Gypsi, do you know how to correct typos with the edit button?

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

8. Gypsi

oooopps. Those typos happen when I attempt to post from a smart phone with teenytiny buttons. And if I don't manually enter a carriage return, the whole browser crashes on here.

This is the first time I've had at the computer pretty much all week. It's fixed. Sorry.

Gypsi

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I could have fixed it for you, but I thought it was too funny to end it too soon. :D

10. Gypsi

:roll::rolling::goodpost: