SHB bait

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by hardwood, Aug 25, 2010.

1. hardwood

hardwood New Member

I live in central FL which must be the hive beetle capitol of the world. These little things are with out a doubt the worst pest here...way out shadowing varroa.

For several years now I've been using homemade traps that utilize boric acid (similar to the ones Fat Bee Man does) and they work ok...but just ok. I don't think the vegetable fats are really enough of a draw for the beetles.

I'm toying around with different mixes now. Borax ( sodium tetraborate decahydrate) mixed with pollen substitute and vegetable fat (shortning), borax/pollen sub/water, borax/lard/pollen (the pollen is left from rendering wax from cut outs). I'll post my unofficial results in a month or two.

I'm just wondering, has anyone else been trying to come up with their own traps? I'd love to hear about both failures and successes!

Scott

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I haven't had enough beetles to try it, but I have thought of the following.

Borax or Boraxo, mixed with pollen, with just enough honey to make it doughy. Pack it into one side of two plastic predrawn frames, "supercell??". Cover the side with 1/8 inch hardware cloth. Place them in the hive as #1 and #10 frames, with the bait next to the wood.

3. tcchris

tcchris New Member

I use beetle barns with fipronil on top , I don't like it but it does kill a few .
    Most effective for me is a screened bottom board with a pan of oil beneath it .
    SHB are terrible here in N Ga . I would be open to try any ideas anyone has .

4. SouthernCross

SouthernCross New Member

Is that the Freeman trap?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hardwood writes:
    I'm toying around with different mixes now. Borax ( sodium tetraborate decahydrate) mixed with pollen substitute and vegetable fat (shortning), borax/pollen sub/water, borax/lard/pollen (the pollen is left from rendering wax from cut outs). I'll post my unofficial results in a month or two.

tecumseh:
    do keep us posted to whatever you discover along the way. I suspect the above may be as important as the style of trap employed.

6. tcchris

tcchris New Member

Beetle barns are little square traps , but I have quit usung them because for me they don't catch enough to be worth using poison,

7. davidruch

davidruch New Member

Hi everyone,

I am just collecting information right now. I do not have any hives so I am a newbee but I have been doing alot of research. For SHB georgiabees.XXX guy that is on youtube demenstrates his SHB trap and it killed 60-90 beetles consistantly but I do not know what he uses as bait or how long he keeps them in there but it was a good video on the subject.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My computer reports that is a dangerous website loaded with malware. I changed the .com to XXX. Go there at your own risk.

Fatbeeman has a good video on making SHB traps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_KDPp8H6PU

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

AJ's beetle eaters have done good for me... but they were the one thing the bear that tore through one yard went for most... chewed them to bits trying to get that vegetable oil.

As far as baiting the beetles... I don't like that idea for in-hive traps. I think it risks attracting more beetles to your hive than you could kill with a trap.