SHB ...Hives detroyed

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by An-Nahl, Sep 24, 2009.

1. An-Nahl

An-Nahl New Member

I have 4 hives... 3 were moderate to week... those have been destroyed do to the shb, all the bees gone and or dead, we had too much rain here over past few days, looks like they bees all startved to death.

Should I burn all the foundation and frames or just trash 'em? How do I treat the empty hives?

For the last standing hive I will take a closer look tonight...

Thank you in advance, for educational purposes I will try to pots some photographs. :cry:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sorry to hear of the losses, I know all of my hives are on the light side and are starting to feed them.

G3

3. Tia

Tia New Member

I sat in on a webinar on SHB where they said that the woodenware will smell foul so it should just be disposed of, but I am taking umbrage with that. I had a hive slimed. . .2 boxes. . .but 6 of the ten frames in one box are untouched an beautiful. The box is okay, too. I plan on freezing them for about 36 hrs in the hopes of reusing them. The ones that got slimed are sitting with the ones that had wax moths. I'll scrape them off really good and then use my best judgment.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Don't feel too bad. This is my first year with SHB too and I'm just learning how to beat the little devils down!

4. An-Nahl

An-Nahl New Member

The smell is nasty... the past 2 seasons I had NO issues... perhaps the mild winter and rainy spring helped boost the shb numbers...

Now you say if not "slimed" I sould just freeze the good foundation?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would clean well with clorox, 1/2 cup to 5 gallon water, and re-use all that looks good. Drawn comb, I would freeze and use, if not slimed.

6. Charles

Charles New Member

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Paul, keep us updated on your findings with that last hive...

7. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

I too have lost hives due to the shb but I have been able to reuse all my wooden ware.

It is an awful job but you need to wash all your wooden ware off very carefully. All the affected comb needs to be scrapped and clean comb including frames any honey needs to be frozen for at least 24 hours. Leave your wooden ware in the sun to dry and de-odourise

I did all my cleaning into large tubs of water with plenty of detergent to drown any larva and/or shb

More importantly you need to concern yourself with your remaining hive. Pull it right down as there will be shb in there for sure and get rid of any affected comb as before. Take out any empty frames and supers that are just sitting there with nothing in them. If you progressively remove supers and the brood box you will be sure to find heaps of shb on the floor of the hive.

You need to get traps in asap to give your hive a chance of survival.

I hope that it works out for you

Mick