SHB killed one of my two hives. Now what?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by hawkreborn, Jul 31, 2013.

1. hawkreborn

hawkreborn New Member

Two weeks ago the hive was doing alright. Then within this last week I noticed there were little to no bees in the boardman feeder, and swarming of bees on the outside(They were probably from the other hive). When I opened the hive today. I saw one SHB and a bunch of larva going to town. I also wonder if the whole hive didnt just get up and fly away because there were less than 100 bees in this hive. Im a bit worried about the other hive. Any tips to prevent this from happening to the other one. Also, what do i do with the equipment?

2. hawkreborn

hawkreborn New Member

Actually on a side note. My previous post asked about a weird thing that one of the bees were struggling with. It was no doubt a beetle larva. Now that ive seen 50+ of them. This is a sad day. But first year beekeeping, got lots to learn :p

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

My hives had them real bad also, been using the small shb traps but they were not getting them as they should have so order some bottom pan traps that has a screen bottom on them and a pan to put vegetable oil in. Cleared my hives up in a couple of weeks. You can get them from , http://greenbeehives.com he is listed here in a banner on forum. I will used them on all my hives from now on.

Ken

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Sunlight and a strong hive are the two best defenses against SHB and wax moths as far as I can tell. There are traps and bottom trays available, too

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would add to slowmodem list to eliminate any and all vegetation around the hive.

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Well my hives are in full sun and are strong hives, but with all the rain and clouds we have had this year it has been a bad year for a lot of shb, like yesterday only about 2 hrs of sun and only got to 78 high for the day, so all the help we can give the bees is what I am after.

Ken

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have found once the comb has been slimed by SHB best to do away with it bees wont touch it.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Any tips to prevent this from happening to the other one. Also, what do i do with the equipment?

tecumseh...
    sometimes you cannot get to the proper answer without asking the proper question. down thru the years I cannot count the number of times I have heard (in prior times) hobby beekeeper proclaim 'the wax moth killed my hive' which has now been replaced with 'the small hive beetle killed my hive'. this is a bit like coming across a carcass several days after it is dead and exclaiming 'the maggot killed my cow'. each and all of these are just doing their biological duty and since you are just starting out it will in no way enhance your own experience by laying cause to some casual event associated with the hives demise and not the real underlaying cause itself < a lot of times we come upon these kind of events a bit late and often time 'the real cause' will almost invariable be speculative since there is likely to be little evidence to support what ever you might suspect.

as to equipment... which I am assuming appears to be still usable.... I typically freeze any frames and after a day or so of freezing just set them outside and let the bees clean them up... they don't really seem much attracted to nasty hive beetle infested syrup but they will eventually clean these up. I myself don't like to immediately store these kinds of frames but like to get them on a robust hive just a bit after the nasty syrup has been cleaned up.