SHB laying eggs beneath screened bottom board?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Bigwig, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Has anyone had experience with SHB laying eggs beneath the SBB but still in the space between it the the regular bottom board, so that the larva get up into the monitor tray but get stuck there? Twice within the the last week when I pulled my monitor try it was CRAWLING with SHB larva. I was unable to take the time to look into my hive today, but last week when I checked I only found 2-3 larva hiding in the cells of the brood box and no damage to the comb anywhere.

I've included some pics, which are a little low quality. Also this time on the tray was some very fine, thread-like stuff that seems like pollen but I've never seen before. It's the reddish-brown stuff in the pic.

I plan on taking a flashlight with me next to look into the tray cavity and see what I can, as well as to pull the bottom box off the SBB and take a look-see.

Thanks Image03292012094520.jpg Image03292012094527.jpg Image03292012094835.jpg

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Thats why Iddee says the "sticky board" is only used to count mites etc, no space that the bees cannot clean. Keep it out when not doing mite checks.

At least these are not in the hive,and I would guess those are wax moth larvae not SHB.

In winter I did put mine in as a solid bottom but as soon as weather warmed mine came out. It was evident that the hive with a solid bottom board was quickest to get going this spring, so an rethinking these screened bottom boards for all year round.

3. melrose

melrose New Member

hmmmmm, I have to ask a question, how do you set up a SBB?
    When I place mine I put it between the bottom board and the bottom deep. :???:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If a mite falls through the screen and doesn't fall to the ground, you have it wrong. The only purpose of a screen bottom board is to let the mites hit the ground. The only time it's different is when you put a greased board under the screen for 3 days to catch and count the mites. Then the board comes out and stays out until the next count.

Melrose, SBB is screened bottom board. How do you put the bottom board between the bottom board and deep hive body??

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am a bit too old school to try screened bottom boards.... I am a bit too experience to not have expected and predicted the problems you are now encountering.

6. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

I'm sorry if I missed something, but I don't understand your point. Or how this is helpful.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

His first point is, the screen bottom board may be over rated. It may not be the best thing since apple pie.

Second point is, any place the SHB, ants,roaches, and wax moth can get to and the bees can't, there's going to be trouble.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Thank you iddee for stating my points most directly.

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

second part is that a booming colony ( one that really is well populated ) may not entirely keep the SHB out, but certianly not allow them to be very comfortable in being there and chased from here to there----lol tough to lay eggs while on the run.
    Barry

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some small and I would guess insignificant observation I made here Barry in regards to shb and screen bottom boards in 5 frame nucs is: even in very populated boxes if the wire screen is of the proper size the shb will use the screen to dodge any worker that might want to harass them. essentially the screen is a shield for the shb.

11. melrose

melrose New Member

Melrose, SBB is screened bottom board. How do you put the bottom board between the bottom board and deep hive body??[/QUOTE]

Idee, I have my SBB between the bottom brood box and the bottom board, catching the debris, I obvoiusly have it set up all wrong. Didn't know we wanted it opened all the time.

thanks for the education.. :thumbsup: