shb

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by reidi_tim, Jun 13, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I'm still in my first couple of months of bekeep and have managed to raise several queens ( maybe raise is the wrong word ) produce queens ( due to my lack of experience )and do splits. I have not given them any type of meds or treatments ( I figure the doc have got me on enough meds for me and the bees:sad: ) The only problem that I have seen with my bees are shb. What I don't understand is when I'm in the hives and a shb scurries about it will go into a cell and the bees will go after it in chase and go head first into the cell... What are the bees doing to the shb when they do this? And do they chase them around when the hive is closed up?? I'm sure my lack of experience is probably harder on the bees then any natural threat they might have... By the time I make it thru year one I'm sure I'll be able to post the top 100 mistakes a first year bekeep can make:dontknow: eish I hope it stops at 100

2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

They are trying to "kill" it. I do not think they can, but mine try and run them off when I open the hive. I have seen several bees gang up on one beetle and it looks like they are head butting it.
    Robert

3. vermillion

vermillion New Member

They do try to grab them, but once the beetle is in the cell there is not much the bee can do.

They will eventually herd the beetles into beetle jails and keep them there. Once you open the hive, however all bets are off and the beetles and bees scatter.

this week when I did my inspections I put my supers on the inner covers I had remover while I inspected the broodnest. The bees/sunlightdrove them down into the corners, and when I lifted the super, the mister and I were able to squish several beetles with the hive tools. very satisfying.

Its fascinating to me that when the beetles fly in at night, some bees are right ON IT and try grab them, others dont seem to notice. I dont know if its not in their job description, or what.

We also found some beetles propolized in the groove of two of the outisde frames. I always make sure the outside frames have something on both sides so there are plenty of bees on patrol on the perimeter.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my understanding is the bees are trying to crush the small hive beetle with their jaws. I have read where the european honey bees jaws are not quite strong enough to get the job done although I do find one or two shbs here and there in some hive that appear to have been somewhat dismantled.

5. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

So how many shb are a bad thing? In hive 1 I found three it is two deeps and a shallow, they are drawing comb and storing honey in the shallow. Hive 2 I put the shallow on at the same time as I did 1 and thought it might have been early. Number two there where bees in the upper, but have not started to draw out comb. This is where I saw 10 or better shb, that my hive tool took care of quickly. Hive 3 I did a complete checker board with the frames, and moved the honey bound frames to the second deep with no sign of a shb. The nuc I split on Monday put the queen and two frames in another nuc and moved out to the main yard no shb. The other bees from the split seem to being well could not find the queen but there are still capped queen cells and no shb. What can I do to slow down the shb in 2?

6. jewelant

jewelant New Member

As far as I'm concerned there IS no acceptable level of hive beetles. Several years ago I only had a few beetles. Some very unusual circumstances that I did not understand, but do now, allowed them to decimate FOUR of my hives. But I wrote an article on the whole thing, and some solutions. I'm crazy busy canning tomatos and cleaning frames right now, but it's the best I could do in a couple of hours. The link is to the blog page. This really is a national and world emergency, and thanks to everyone that has an inventing and inquiring mind. JEWELANT

http://jewelant.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/small-hive-beetle-help/