SHB's and trapouts?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DCoates, Oct 6, 2009.

1. DCoates

DCoates New Member

Small Hive Beatles have been found a mere 20 miles away from me so I know they'll get here within a year or two at the latest. I've been reading up about them and learning how to deal with them. One of the questions I've got though is how they would affect a trap out. Considering both the hives (trapper and trappee) are under substantial stress wouldn't this lead to the SHB taking over leaving slimed hives in the very location a cutout was not acceptable? How do you/can you avoid having this happen?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've had no problem here, but they have had in Fla., where it is hotter longer and the SHB are more numerous. Doing the trap in early spring seems to be their answer.

3. DCoates

DCoates New Member

Iddee,

Are there SHB's where you are?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, too many, but not as bad as farther south.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I did not do any trap outs this year but that was my thinking also, do them early in the spring. Did several cut outs and I know I brought them to my yard at the house, not to say they were already here to start with. They are here in East Tenn also, I hate those little buggers.

G3

6. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

I would imagine if you are in a climate where the bees fly all year round you could do the trap out in the cooler months of the year when the shb are least active. Other climates become more problematical

Mick